The USAID/Jordan Health Services Quality Accelerator (HSQA) Activity will be a five-year Cooperative Agreement to accelerate and sustain improvements in reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child health (RMNCH) outcomes. The goal of the HSQA Activity is to improve RMNCH outcomes by designing and evaluating innovative models, increasing private sector engagement, emphasizing gender-sensitive programming, ensuring a collaborative adaptive learning agenda, and supporting local ownership of sustainable RMNCH quality services.
The Chief of Party (COP) will provide technical and administrative leadership and expertise to the HSQA Activity. They will be the primary liaison with USAID/Jordan and the Ministry of Health on management and technical concerns. The COP manage all aspects of program implementation to help HSQA meet its objectives – this may include technical, administrative, operational, strategic, and logistics management. Note that Jordanian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Coordinate with the DCOP and technical leads to oversee planning, execution, monitoring, and evaluation of program interventions and outputs.
- Inspire, enable, and develop a team of technical experts to deliver substantial and cost-effective results.
- Ensure high quality and timely reporting.
- Ensure that project indicator and programmatic targets and USAID obligations are met.
- Establish and foster relationships with a broad network of partners, donors, government counterparts, community groups, and donors.
- Provide leadership and technical oversight to project staff and subcontractors.
- Provide leadership in designing and executing a challenge fund together with the MOH to stimulate greater public/private partnerships in the health sector.
- Oversee annual work planning processes and ensure that quality operational plans, budgets, and reports are submitted as per contract agreements.
- Represent the project internally to Abt Associates leadership and global staff to help leverage learning across other related projects and promoting project successes beyond Abt.
- Identify opportunities for innovation by building upon and expanding on previous successes that Abt has had in Jordan and ensuring that new approaches are welcomed.
- Master’s Degree (required) or Ph.D. (preferred) in public health, international development, or other similar field related to health or development.
- At least 8 years of demonstrated technical expertise in public health programs and systems in Jordan or another country, preferably in the Middle East. At least five years’ experience in similar contexts in Jordan preferred.
- Understanding of RMNCH and quality in the health sector and reaching disadvantaged populations to improve equity.
- Experience working closely with a broad range of public and private sector counterparts.
- High level of leadership, interpersonal, technical, and analytical skills.
- Experience building the institutional capacity of local governments/organizations to improve health service delivery.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage challenging projects involving diverse stakeholders, particularly for donors/U.S. government agencies.
- Knowledge of USAID procedures, rules, and regulations is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience interacting with Jordanian government agencies, civil society counterparts, and international donor agencies strongly preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and Arabic are required.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.