Chief of Party, Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands Forest Governance Program
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role:
Palladium is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID funded program in Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, titled Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands Forest Governance Program. The project will likely be focused on improving forest conservation practices and resource management; improving alternative livelihoods, especially those promoting a higher value being placed on natural areas, and improving the governance of these resources at all levels.
The COP will provide overall leadership and management of the project including meeting the project’s technical objectives, managing financial resources, program staff, partnering agreements, maintaining good working relationships with host government officials and local partners, managing client reporting, and ensuring high-quality service delivery. The COP will represent Palladium and the project to USAID and all other stakeholders including donors, the governments of Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, community and non-governmental organizations, and the private sector.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The COP is responsible for:
- Providing overall strategic, technical, programmatic, financial, and management guidance and support for large-scale project activities.
- Managing a core staff of technical and administrative program professionals and work with the US-based country management support team to ensure responsive and efficient project operations.
- Ensuring that project objectives, outcomes, and deliverables are met and that financial, operational, and reporting requirements of the donor are followed.
- Serving as the primary liaison with the client and all other stakeholders.
- Working with and building the capacity of government authorities at all levels of government, with local community-based organizations, and with the private sector.
- Analysing and evaluating project operations to identify and resolve issues or problems.
- Master’s degree in forestry, environment or natural resource related fields.
- Experience managing field-based forestry conservation or resource governance or management, livelihood, agriculture, or related, and local private sector institutions,
- Experience leading complex multi-million-dollar donor funded projects, with experience in managing teams of professionals, and with the administrative, procurement, hiring, and recruitment, financial and logistical aspects of project implementation.
- Experience in coordination of and collaboration with stakeholders including government agencies, host country governments, NGOs, civil society and international donor agencies.
- Experience in working with indigenous communities preferred.
- Direct experience in the Pacific region and in Papua New Guinea and/or the Solomon Islands preferred.
- USAID project experience and understanding of USAID’s development priorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytic, financial, and evaluative skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities often within a required timeframe.