Job Title: Chief of Party, Peacebuilding, Sri Lanka
Department/Country: ESA/Sri Lanka
Position Type: Chief of Party
Job Location: Columbo, Sri Lanka
Reports To: Sri Lanka Country Manager
NOTE: This position is contingent upon donor funding and approval
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
After decades of civil war, ending in 2009, Sri Lanka must rebuild a fragmented society, divided along religious, ethnic, and caste lines. Attitudes toward other groups are characterized by suspicion and lack of trust, creating an oppositional atmosphere among communities and civil society groups, which could be collaborating to advance Sri Lankan development. Minority populations throughout the country are excluded from opportunities and services, and are especially economically vulnerable, with limited livelihoods options. Many who lived through the war are traumatized, but are not receiving adequate psychosocial support to meet their needs. Women and youth have the potential to lead reconciliation efforts, but are sidelined by a male-dominated culture.
CRS has a history of emergency response, peacebuilding, livelihoods, water and sanitation, and other support to the people of Sri Lanka, working through local partners and building the capacity of organizations on the ground to improve the well-being of Sri Lankans.
USAID has released a solicitation for advancing social cohesion and reconciliation in Sri Lanka, with the three objectives:
1) To promote a cohesive Sri Lankan identity
2) Reduce socioeconomic disparities and exclusion
3) Enhance community resilience
CRS seeks applicants for the position of Chief of Party (COP) to lead the project team, should we win the award from USAID.
The COP will be the direct link with the AOR and other relevant stakeholders and accountable for achieving SCORE results. S/he will be based in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Overall management and responsibility for the project’s technical and financial performance, ensuring that the project is implemented in alignment with CRS’ and USAID’s policies and procedures.
- Provides leadership to senior technical staff to ensure high program quality for optimum results.
- Leads project partners and staff in work planning, to ensure timely and high-quality implementation of project activities.
- Oversees CRS’ monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL) activities, supervising senior MEAL staff to collect and analyze data for adaptive management of the project.
- Encourages an atmosphere of dignity and respect among project staff, leading by example.
- Supervises the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), Senior Technical Advisor, and other high-level project staff.
- Works with partner organizations to ensure coordinated, efficient project implementation that achieves project results.
- Communicates regularly with USAID, providing updates on project challenges and successes, and accepting feedback.
- Communicates regularly with officials of the relevant ministries of the Government of Sri Lanka, coordinating with ongoing government efforts to achieve sustainable results.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
Supervisory Responsibilities (if none, state none):
The Chief of Party will directly supervise the deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), the Senior Technical Advisor, and other high level staff on the project team. Project leads from core partner organizations will report to the Chief of Party, and be accountable to him/her for delivering on project results.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Strong working relationships with CRS’ South Asia Representative in Delhi, India; CRS’ Head of Office in Chennai, India; CRS Techical Advisors from the East and South Asia region and globally.
External: Daily interaction and oversight of partner organizations and their high-level staff. Cooperation with relevant government bodies in the Government of Sri Lanka. Frequent communication with USAID on project progress and challenges.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- At least ten (10) years of demonstrated experience managing peace building and reconciliation related programs that have included components such as transitional justice, capacity development, gender and youth empowerment, and people-to-people activities in a post-conflict environment;
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required, master’s degree preferred.
- Experience implementing complex and multifaceted projects is required, with demonstrated skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities;
- Strategic vision, leadership qualities, depth and breadth of relevant technical expertise and experience;
- Strong professional reputation, management experience, interpersonal skills and written and oral presentation skills to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the program description.
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills and a proven track record of interacting with other projects, high-level host country governments, and international agencies;
- Proven track record of working effectively with diverse groups of civil society organizations, media, civil society, and government counterparts;
- Demonstrated abilties with effective personnel management, coordination, and decision making skills along with an ability to troubleshoot.
Required Foreign Language:
Tamil or Sinhalese skills preferred but not required
Frequent travel within Sri Lanka to manage and oversee activities in the Northern, Eastern and Uva provinces. Meetings and events withing Colombo, Sri Lanka, on a regular basis.
Fast-paced office environment with frequent collaboration and interaction among colleagues and partners.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.