Position Description and Duties
Cardno International Development in its Nairobi office is seeking a full-time Senior Communications Professional who will be responsible for managing and executing multiple communications initiatives working directly with USAID in Kenya to meet their strategic initiatives. The position is based in Kenya and will report to Cardno’s Nairobi office.
S/he will manage the full suite of communications services to support the strategic objectives, including the development and implementation of a communications strategy. S/he will lead activities to maximize USAID’s branding and messaging throughout Eastern Africa. This will include content creation for and utilization of social media platforms, web, newsletters, and other tools.
The position requires 8+ years of experience in international development and multiple disciplines of communications, including developing and implementing communications strategy, writing articles and press releases, producing brochures and other marketing materials, digital marketing, social media, public relations and outreach to local media.
- Developing internal and external marketing and communications materials (articles, press releases, talking points, presentations, layout and design thereof, etc.)
- Planning and executing events and outreach
- Ensuring full utilization of social media platforms including LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and HootSuite
- Adhering to and regulating the implementation of USAID’s Graphics Standards Manual and the agency’s Branding and Marking contractual requirements
- Willing and able to travel on occasion in Kenya and internationally
- Existing relationships with local media a plus
- A Master’s Degree in Journalism, Communications or a relevant related field of study (or Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field with an additional minimum of six years of relevant experience).
- The proposed individual must have English language S/5 and R/5 proficiency to perform communications technical services.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- At least four years of related public relations, public outreach or Communications for Development (C4D) experience. Must have a thorough knowledge of the principles, methods, practices, and techniques of communication, and skill in applying such knowledge to develop written information materials for dissemination through a variety of media, in order to determine and effectively use the most appropriate means for transmitting information, and to evaluate the effectiveness of plans developed to communicate with targeted audiences. This includes an understanding of the use of written communication in developing news releases, feature stories, background statements, fact sheets, media spots, and scripts that effectively transmit information about complex USAID programs/projects/activities and functions.
- The work requires a solid understanding of social media; websites; an excellent knowledge of English grammar and American word usage and spelling; a good knowledge of graphic design, printing, and publishing processes, and the ability to oversee printers and/or publishers; a creative sense for video, animation and utilizing new media; a general understanding of procurement processes; and, a broad understanding of issues related to international development.
- Demonstrated skills in full utilization of social media including: LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and HootSuite
- Demonstrated skills in graphic design, including basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of major international donor organizations, especially USAID
- Experience working in Africa, particularly Kenya, highly preferred
- Fluency in the English language (speaking, writing, reading) required and a foreign language is desirable.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Adobe InDesign
Cardno offers an excellent compensation and benefits package. Cardno is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal Opportunity statement for U.S. based applicants: Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Organization
Cardno has a 50-year history of working in partnership with developing countries to deliver solutions for sustainable development. Through the expertise of professionals operating in more than 100 countries, we investigate the causes of poverty and focus on improving the physical, economic and social infrastructure that sustains communities.