Chief of Party – Tunisia
FHI 360 is currently recruiting for the position of Chief of Party (COP) for an USAID Tunisia Resilience and Community Empowerment project called Ma3an. Ma3an (“Together” in Arabic) is a five-year (September 2018 – August 2023), $48.5 million USAID project that engages some of Tunisia’s most vulnerable communities as the engines of their own transformation. Ma3an works with 32 communities in 16 governorates across Tunisia. The project’s goal — to increase capacity of communities to withstand political, social, and economic stresses and shocks — is supported by three interrelated objectives: Objective 1: Community resilience is strengthened. Objective 2: Community vulnerabilities are mitigated. Objective 3: Build capacity of Tunisian partners to sustain and replicate the model. Ma3an works with local partners to identify local needs and introduces activities that scale up collective action and engage communities in sustaining local successes. Ma3an develops public-private partnerships that help individual communities respond to unique challenges and works with community stakeholders to develop their sense of ownership and commitment. These activities will build capacity in existing entities (e.g., schools, local organizations, public and private sector institutions) and enable them to carry forward activities long after the program ends.
The COP will be responsible for providing overall vision, leadership and guidance of the project. S/he will be the project’s main point of contact for USAID and all other stakeholders. The COP will also be responsible for overall project management and technical operations to ensure that the project tasks are completed, and the objectives of the project are successfully met. It is expected that the COP will be located in Tunis, Tunisia with anticipated project funded travel throughout the country.
Essential Job Functions:
- Lead the Contractor’s team and serve as the primary point of contact with USAID regarding the day-to-day activity implementation and management matters relating to the contract
- Ensure that all assistance provided under the contract is technically sound and appropriate for the needs to be addressed
- Manage and supervise the work of experts/personnel provided under the contract
- Serve as the primary point of contact for information on the progress and current status of all activities under the contract
- Establish appropriate monitoring mechanisms to ensure that activity progress and specific implementation concerns are regularly and promptly reported and that project objectives are met
- Manage the preparation and presentation of work plans, M&E plans, and all reports
- Facilitate ongoing project learning and adaptive management
- Ensure that solid relationships are built and maintained between and among FHI 360 and sub-contractor project staff, USAID, and key local stakeholders and partners
- Serve as Country Representative for FHI 360
- Typically requires a minimum of 12 years with project management experience.
- At least eight years of experience successfully managing complex international programs (implementation, logistics, budgeting, staffing), preferably those funded by USAID and those conducted in Tunisia or other Middle East and North African countries;
- Chief of Party experience on programs with budgets in excess of $20 million is highly desired
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent • Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or Related Field.
- Master’s degree from an accredited university in a relevant field or the equivalent experience highly preferred
- Skills in monitoring, evaluating and effective management toward meeting project objectives, including evaluating sub-awardee and grantee activities through consultative meetings, site visits and reporting requirements; working out solutions to keep activities on track; and providing overall guidance and direction focusing the activity team on achieving agreed targets and long-term strategic objectives
- Demonstrated success across the whole range of project management responsibilities including: strategic program planning; work planning and budgeting; financial, administrative, contractual management and oversight
- Experience designing and implementing positive youth development, community development and resilience, peacebuilding, and/or countering violent extremism activities
- Demonstrated success in relationship management with multiple clients; oversight of program monitoring and evaluation; and documentation of results for USAID-funded programs
- Written and spoken proficiency in English at Level 4 as defined by the International Language Roundtable, as well as Level 3 proficiency or better in Arabic and/or French
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural skills with demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations, as well as mentor national staff
- Past representational experience with host governments, other donors, and civil society and demonstrated success with inter-agency coordination and joint programming
- Demonstrated strategic planning, staff development and capacity building experience
- Strong analytical capacity
Selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.