Tetra Tech International Development Services (http://www.tetratech.com/intdev), headquartered in Arlington, Virginia in the United States is currently accepting expressions of interest from qualified candidates for a potential Civic Engagement Director position on a U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded project in Ukraine. The goal of this project is to continue USG support to the Government of Ukraine in implementing a more decentralized, transparent, and community-focused governance model. This Activity will strengthen and deepen democratic governance reforms and institution-building in Ukraine and ensure that more decisions and policies are being set at the local level, with more resources flowing from the central government down to local communities.
Position Description: The civic engagement manager will be responsible for working with civil society organizations, civic activists, professional associations, mass media, and private sector to promote engagement of citizens in local self-governance through implementing social accountability activities, participating in local government decision making process, mobilizing citizens in participation in community activities, and raising citizen awareness about governance, democratic value and citizen rights. S/he will also oversee efforts to build capacity of CSOs and citizen’s initiative groups in target Hromadas.
* Facilitate networking and collaboration among constituency-based non-governmental actors (civil society organizations, activists, professional associations, etc.) to mobilize communities to play active role in local self-governance.
* Build, through training and mentoring, capacity and skills of the constituency-based non-governmental actors to engage citizens and target groups in local self-governance activities.
* Develop and maintain strong relationships and cooperation with relevant counterparts, beneficiaries and stakeholders and seek to engage them in the program activities.
* Facilitate fruitful cooperation between governmental institutions and non-governmental actors.
* Assist program government counterpart institutions with developing and implementing policies, procedures and tools for engaging citizens in government oversight and decision-making process.
* In collaboration with communication team, engage mass media in reaching out to pubic and target groups to build their awareness of democratic values, decentralization reforms, and citizen rights.
* Contribute to the design of the small grants program to civil society organizations, participate in the selection and work planning process and provide technical oversight and quality assurance of the projects implemented by grantees.
* Contribute to the development of high-quality project documents and deliverables as well as analytical research.
* Master’s degree or higher degree, preferably in public administration, business administration, political science, or other relevant areas.
* Minimum of five (5) years of experience working with civil society organizations.
* Knowledge and experience working on issues related to local self-governance and government accountability and transparency.
* Substantial management experience, and ability oversee a team of technical experts and regional coordinators.
* Prior experience with USAID-funded or other international organization project is an asset.
* Highly motivated, energetic, independent and self-starter.
* Willingness to travel throughout Ukraine.
* Native fluency in Ukrainian and Russian and spoken and written fluency in English required
* Qualified applicants from Ukraine are strongly encouraged to apply
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological format
Please indicate where you saw Tetra Tech’s IDS ad posted.
Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees - 20,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.