World Learning is a leading international non-profit organization creating a more peaceful and just world through education, development, and exchange. We are seeking an experienced Civic Engagement Specialist for an anticipated political participation and civic engagement activity in the Philippines. The Civic Engagement Specialist will be responsible for designing and overseeing implementation of activities to raise citizen awareness and political participation and reinforce democratic values and traditions.
Recruitment is contingent upon successful award of the project. Only finalist candidates will be contacted. No telephone enquiries please. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis and qualified candidates should apply as soon as possible.
- Provide strategic and technical oversight of the design, development, and implementation of activities in political participation and civic engagement;
- Advise the Chief of Party and other project staff on political participation and civic engagement components and help design the strategy and approaches to achieve expected results;
- Design, implement, and promote activities to engage youth, local and national government, community groups, academia, and the private sector;
- Engage and work closely with communities to identify gaps, areas for improvement, and intervention strategies, and implement effective strategies and ensure activity sustainability;
- Provide technical advice and training to community stakeholders to develop strategic locally-led approaches to promote political participation and civic engagement, particularly for marginalized groups;
- Identify and coordinate with stakeholders, formal and informal community leaders, networks, and organizations in the Philippines for the planning and implementation of project activities;
- In conjunction with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist, develop and assist in the measurement of political participation and civic engagement indicators, and support efforts to increase the impact of program activities; and,
- Working closely with the program team and the MEL Specialist, develop and implement a learning agenda that promotes collaboration, learning, and adaption of program approaches and activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Master’s degree preferred;
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience in political participation, civic engagement, and voter education on programs of similar size and scope in the Philippines or the region;
- Strong understanding of issues related to political participation and civic engagement in the Philippines, particularly for youth and marginalized populations;
- History of positive working relationships with Filipino government institutions, civil society, international organizations, and donors; and knowledge of Filipino counterparts, individuals, and organizations active or interested in political participation and civic engagement are highly desirable;
- Demonstrated understanding and technical capacity in the development, coordination, implementation of complex and diverse sets of interventions that can produce expected outcomes;
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID rules, regulations, and reporting requirements desired;
- Strong understanding of USAID Collaboration, Learning and Adaption (CLA) approach, experience with implementing CLA is desired;
- Proficiency in written and oral Filipino and English required. Filipino Nationals preferred; and,
- Commitment to the principles of inclusive approaches to programming that encourages full participation of individuals regardless of gender, disability status, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or other marginalized status.
About the Organization
Why World Learning
For more than 85 years, World Learning has worked to create a more peaceful, sustainable, and just world. Our education, development, and exchange programs help people find their voices, connect with their communities, and strengthen the institutions that form the backbone of a democratic society. With our support, these emerging leaders tackle critical global issues like poverty, conflict, and inequality.
As a thriving international nonprofit organization with impact in 150 countries, World Learning works across six major program areas. We’re hard at work improving global education to ensure schools and teachers have the tools they need to support students — including English language instruction through our TESOL teacher training. We encourage civic engagement in communities around the world, and we strengthen institutions so that they can best serve their constituencies. Our workforce developmentprograms help people cultivate the hard and soft skills they need to succeed. And we offer people-to-people exchanges for people of all ages who seek professional and academic enrichment.
All World Learning programs are grounded in five key approaches: experiential learning, leadership development, inclusive practices, innovation, and grants management. We believe in partnering with local experts, organizations, and institutions to find solutions that will truly work for each community. Together, we create the foundations for a better tomorrow.
World Learning is a member of the World Learning Inc.Opens a New Window. family, which also includes The Experiment in International Living and School for International Training.
World Learning is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action/veterans/ADA employer, committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce.