Climate Change Adaptation Specialists - Evaluation –
APIK Project, Indonesia:
Multiple Positions: Climate Adaptation, Disaster Risk Reduction/Disaster Response, Public Policy and Planning, and Private Sector Engagement
Under contract to USAID Indonesia, MSI implements the Indonesia Monitoring and Evaluation Support Project (MESP), which provides strategy, assessment and monitoring and evaluation services in support of USAID Indonesia’s portfolio of programs. The project is managed from MSI’s office in Jakarta, Indonesia, which oversees and provides support for all evaluations.
The APIK project’s – Adaptasi Perubahan Iklim dan Ketangguhan – overall objective is to improve the ability of Indonesians to manage climate and disaster risk. APIK’s specific objectives are: integrating climate change adaptation (CCA) and disaster risk reduction (DRR) into national and subnational frameworks; increasing the capacity of local communities and the private sector to address climate change and weather-related natural hazards; and increasing the use of information for climate and disaster risk management among key stakeholders.The assignment will require six weeks of work in Indonesia, which will begin late January or early February 2020, with at least two weeks of travel outside of Jakarta required.
MESP is seeking several climate change adaptation specialists to join the evaluation team. A mix of knowledge and experience is required, including in the areas of climate risk reduction in the agricultural and natural resource management sectors; understanding the ability of provincial governments to better address future climate and weather risks; familiarity with disaster risk reduction programs; and the role of the private sector in addressing future climate change effects. No individual team member is expected to be a specialist in all the aforementioned areas, but experience in one or more area is required.
Selected team members will participate in all aspects of the evaluation, and responsibilities will include:
- Provide support to produce a rigorous evaluation methodology and work plan, including data collection instruments and a data analysis plan.
- Conduct background research and interview key informants in Jakarta and in outlying provinces. Data will need to be systematically collected and categorized.
- Data analysis to provide evidence-based answers to the evaluation questions.
- Support the Team Leader in conducting special research as needed.
- Participate in and support project briefings for USAID/Indonesia, the implementing partner and the Government of Indonesia, as required.
- Minimum of five years of development experience, with significant experience in one or more of the following areas: climate change management, rural development, natural disaster risk reduction, public policy development and budgeting, institutional capacity building and/or evaluation.
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline, such as natural resource management, public administration, public policy, rural economic development or a similar field.
- Must have prior professional experience in climate change programming in Indonesia, and especially adaptation or disaster risk reduction and preparedness programs. Familiarity with climate change adaptation programming approaches, including the work of the Government of Indonesia, USAID, or bilateral or multilateral donors. Knowledge of disaster risk reduction is also highly desirable.
- Prior performance evaluation experience is preferred, including prior experience conducting key informant interviews and organizing and analyzing data.
These specialist evaluation positions are open only to Indonesian residents.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.