The Position: Climate Change and Environment Program Associate
The Pan American Development Foundation is recruiting a Climate Change and Environment Program Associate to support environment and climate change initiatives across PADF. The Program Associate will be required to perform a range of tasks and assignments, including:
- Support the Environment thematic Lead and the EDR team by coordinating ongoing activities of the EDR community of practice and supporting the implementation of the 2021 work plan
- Gather and analyze information of PADF’s projects that accelerate and facilitate PADF’s efforts to achieve resilience outcomes, including through climate change adaptation, and help systematize PADF’s knowledge of its relevant portfolio for internal and external stakeholders
- Liaise with the MEL team to analyze internal quantitative and qualitative project data, assessing program performance, discerning lessons learned, and making recommendations for improved knowledge management of projects related to EDR
- Support efforts to mainstream climate change across PADF’s thematic areas in line with the 2021 EDR work plan (measurement of GHG emissions, development of collective/derivative indicators, climate change protocols/frameworks, etc.)
- Identify opportunities and engage with operational support and other relevant PADF units to implement commitments in line with the NGO Climate Compact
- Research policies, trends, and best practices related to climate change mitigation and adaptation, energy, transportation, materials management, natural resource management, and other sustainability topics to PADF’s knowledge on these issues
- Support equitable and inclusive stakeholder and public engagement around climate and sustainability issues (e.g., attending and proposing online workshops events)
- Synthesize and translate complex information into clear, informative, and compelling materials (e.g., summaries, fact sheets, presentations, online dashboards, reports) for diverse audiences
- Support business development opportunities, including contributing to bidding processes, potential client meetings, and proposal writing on awards related to EDR
- Should opportunities arise, support project management of environment projects when appropriate, including project reporting, project launch and close out procedures, maintenance of subcontract relationships, budget preparation and analysis, and administrative support.
- Support the work of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Lead, including the ongoing use of DIANA, activities of the MEL collaborative, and the use of collective and derivative indicators (climate change and gender).
- Strong writing, proofreading, and research skills
- Clear understanding of, and identification with PADF’s mission and program activities
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to efficiently manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong analytic skills and ability to respond quickly and efficiently to requests
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to interact with staff in Washington D.C. and in the field,
as well PADF partners
- Emotional and cultural intelligent
- Flexible in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree, a working knowledge of hemispheric affairs, and prior writing experience.
- 1-2 years of administrative and program experience working for an international or non-profit organization, preferably with direct field experience in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Demonstrated interest in program innovation, including technology and/or financing preferred.
- Experience working with key donors, such as USAID, USAID/Food For Peace, USAID/OFDA, IDB and World Bank not required, but preferred.
- Fluency in English, with strong oral and writing skills required.
- Knowledge of one additional hemispheric language (French, Spanish, Haitian Creole) preferred
- Clear understanding of and identification with PADF’s mission and program activities.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office and other technology.
More About PADF
PADF is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization established by the Organization of American States (OAS) in 1962. www.padf.org
PADF’s core values. “H-E-A-R-T” = Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect, and Teamwork.
Diversity. PADF is strong because we are diverse. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool
and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. PADF does not discriminate on the basis of
ability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs,
sexual orientation, or criminal record. We welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include
people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide
span of cultures, languages, socio-economic backgrounds, and perspectives on the world.
When applying for this position, please include a cover letter and compensation requirements.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled
About the OrganizationAbout PADF
The Pan American Development Foundation (PADF) believes in creating a hemisphere of opportunity, for all. We work across Latin America and the Caribbean to make our region stronger—more healthy, peaceful, just, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable for current and future generations. For nearly 60 years, we have served the most vulnerable communities, investing resources throughout the hemisphere. We partner with and enable civil society, governments, and the private sector for the greater good of the region.