Comic Book Artist/Illustrator
Location: Haiti-based or International – can work remotely
Contract validity period: Up to 21 work days
Background: For the past seven years, the American Red Cross has implemented the Haiti Assistance Program (HAP) that was established to direct the organization’s response to the 2010 Earthquake in Haiti. HAP activities focus on integrated community recovery and preparedness interventions in Haiti working within the Red Cross/Red Crescent Network, in particular with the Haitian Red Cross, and also through external partners.
Part of HAP’s initiative for program transition activities is to capture programmatic and operational learning visually and through written documentation.
Position Summary: The HAP Learning Team seeks an experienced comic book artist/illustrator to develop and illustrate a comic book-style learning product using organization-generated content that is based on HAP’s learning. The comic book artist/illustrator will work with the HAP Learning Team to conceptualize a solid storyboard resulting in a visually engaging and informative learning product. The product will reflect program processes, lessons learned, key messages and recommendations in a dynamic and engaging manner through the creation of characters and a thematically appropriate storyline.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities: The comic book artist/illustrator is responsible for working with the HAP Learning Team to transform programmatic content into a dynamic illustrated product that fits the Haiti context and appropriately captures key learning, which the Learning Team has generated with sector-appropriate staff. The comic book artist/illustrator will consult with the Learning Team throughout the product creation to ensure product evolution is aligned with HAP’s learning. S/he (and team, if part of a creative team) will be responsible for brainstorming, storyboard creation, illustration/inking, writing (in collaboration with the HAP team), and final product. This product may require an English and French version. This should be delivered within the agreed upon timeframe and based on required work and technical complexity.
Qualifications: The comic book artist/illustrator should be well-versed in the following, and be able to provide a portfolio of sample work:
- Solid knowledge of design techniques and tools
- Ability to create inking, drawing, penciling, coloring
- Familiarity with Illustrator, Quark Express, Storyboard Pro, Photoshop or other applicable storyboarding software
- Ability to brainstorm numerous creative ideas
- Ability to manage projects in a timely manner
- Ability to work with a variety of styles and align with the style of a specific project
- Ability to create strong action choreography
- Eye for detail and accuracy
- Ability to write clear and specific direction on storyboards
- Works well under pressure with strong time management skills
- Visionary mind
- Minimum 5-years-experience creating comics and/or illustrations for professional publications
- Proven skills in illustration, animation, storyline creation, writing
- Past performance in creation of dynamic comics/illustrations– sample work from portfolio should be available
- Sound knowledge of most up-to-date professional animation software and programs
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with the HAP Learning Team on the video, incorporating content generated by the team
- Languages: English and French
- Knowledge of Red Cross movement is an asset
- Knowledge of humanitarian programs/collaborated with NGOs in the past
- Degree or technical study in illustration, animation graphics or fine arts
- Hourly/Daily fees per working day
How to apply:
To apply submit CV, and brief cover letter detailing relevant experience and compensation requirements (daily fees per working day) via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with cc to email@example.com.
Please put the following in the subject line: “Application for Comic Book Artist/Illustrator Consultant.” Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline to apply: January 9, 2018. Consultant should be available to start by late January, 2018.
About the Organization
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.