Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organisation operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organisation’s business area - GIZ International Services - is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services is shortlisted for an EU - funded project: Support to the EU-South Africa Strategic Economic Partnership.
The overall objective of the Support to the EU – South Africa Strategic Economic Partnership (SESASEP) is to enable the EU to deliver on the economic/trade/investment dimension of its strategic partnership with South Africa by maximising bilateral trade and investment flows.
Specific objectives include:
- Achieving successful negotiations, conclusion and/or implementation of multilateral and bilateral agreements (SADC - EU EPA in particular), notably when it comes to economic and trade aspects (see Technical Component under 4.1.1);
- Consolidating the ability and capacity of the EU and EU business to influence policy processes in South Africa and at regional level, through the appropriate identification and promotion of robust positions. Improve the ability of EU business to operate in South Africa while enhancing their contribution to socio-economic development of the country with the particular focus on skills and jobs (see Advocacy Component under 4.1.1);
- Developing high visibility of and contributing to the credibility of the actions of the EU in the framework of the economic/trade/investment dimension of its strategic partnership with South Africa (see Visibility component 4.1.1).
The purpose of this contract is as follows:
To establish a Programme Management Unit composed of the Project Director and the Communication Expert for the provision of Technical assistance to enable the EU to better deliver on the economic, trade and investment dimension of its partnership with South Africa under the following three components: i) technical component; ii) advocacy component; and iii) visibility component.
The Communication expert will be responsible for facilitating, guiding and overseeing the implementation of all communication-related aspects of the SESASEP project, especially under the Visibility Component. This will have to be done in close coordination and consultations with the EU Delegation to South Africa.
Qualification and skills
- At least a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Communications, Media Studies or Journalism;
- Proven communication and project management skills;
- Ability to perform under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Proficiency in English;
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
General professional Experience
- At least 10 years of post-graduate experience in information dissemination and communication in South Africa and the region, including design and drafting of the communication material.
Specific professional experience
- At least 3 years of experience in website development and management.
- At least 3 years of post-graduate experience in effective communication through the social media platforms and digital communication tools.
- At least 5 years of experience in organising and managing public events, including seminars and roundtables as well as larger public events with the high profile speakers and participants and exhibition spaces.
- Solid network of contacts in South Africa within government, business, civil society and media.
The period of implementation of the contract will be 36 months starting the 15th August 2018
The location of the operation base for the Project Management Unit (PMU) is Pretoria or Johannesburg, South Africa, with missions and events across South Africa and in the European Union.
Please note that the ToR do not indicate a specific number of working days for the position. This will be clarified at later stage during tender preparation. Candidates are invited to provide a self-assessment of their potential engagement required for the position vis-à-vis the tasks required in the ToR in their motivation letter (calculated in WD).
Please note that we basically can only receive and process applications sent via our e-recruiting system. Should you not be able to do so, please contact the person named in the job advertisement. GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Please send us an updated CV in Europeaid format in English.
To apply, please make use of our online - application facility under:https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=36732