The Global Health Advocacy Incubator (GHAI), a program of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, provides strategic advocacy assistance on global public health issues to drive policy change campaigns around the globe to improve health. As part of the Food Policy Program (FPP), funded by Bloomberg Philanthropies, GHAI works with partners to improve the nutrition policy environment in countries including Barbados, Brazil, Colombia, Jamaica, Mexico and South Africa. The FPP focuses on the passage and implementation of four key policies:
- Restricting advertising of junk food and sugary beverages to children;
- Implementing taxes on sugar-sweetened beverages;
- Regulating the supply of unhealthy foods and beverages in public sector institutions, particularly schools; and
- Improving front of package labelling on packaged or processed foods and beverages.
The FPP Communications Associate will play an important role to support the media advocacy efforts of a dynamic program that serves as a catalyst for advocacy organizations around the world. The position reports to the Associate Director, Communications, Food Policy Program, is based in Washington, D.C. and is open to applicants who can work permanently in the United States.
- Work with in-country partners to manage media monitoring across priority countries. Track and monitor global media coverage of healthy food policies. Produce media coverage reports/analysis or clippings compilations, as needed.
- Compile quarterly reports on communications activities for internal and external audiences, including maintaining tracking tools and metrics of performance.
- Work with Associate Director to identify, develop and systematically disseminate relevant communications resources for in-country partners.
- Support advocacy organizations in the design and implementation of media advocacy strategies.
- Draft high quality communications materials including press releases, op-eds, talking points, and social media content.
- Manage Listserv and help organize Food Policy webinars, including identifying topics, coordinating with speakers, writing promotional materials and helping with logistics.
- Assist the Associate Director in planning and executing training and capacity building workshops for advocates and journalists. Provide support for events and meetings as required.
- Work collaboratively with GHAI team to generate content on FPP activities and draft web and other online content, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field;
- At least 1-2 years of experience in communications/media, preferably in a policy, advocacy or campaign setting;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment;
- Experience working at the international level and in cross-cultural settings, preferred;
- Foreign language proficiency (Spanish or Portuguese) a plus.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume and salary requirement to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the position code: CA/FPP/13 in the subject line of your email. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
About the Organization
The Global Health Advocacy Incubator, a program of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, advances public health policies to build a healthier and safer world. Drawing on our extensive global experience, we offer strategic support to develop and execute advocacy campaigns to pass laws and policies that save lives.