Job Title/Grade: Communications Associate I/II/Communications Specialist/Senior Communications Specialist (Grades 5/6/7/8)
Reports to: Senior Manager, Corporate Communications
Department: Strategy and IT, Communications
Date: January 07, 2019
This position can be based in DAI’s UK (London or Apsley) or Belgium (Brussels) or USA (Bethesda) offices.
US-based applicants please apply via the following link:
Europe-based applicants please apply via the following link:
Function of the Position:
The Communications Associate I/II/Specialist/Sr Comms Specialist is an integral part of DAI’s Communications team, which works to develop effective communications strategies and products, enhance DAI’s public profile, and support internal communications. This is a full-time professional position, contributing to all aspects of internal and external communications. The incumbent is primarily responsible for generating content that will tell the DAI story, embody the DAI brand, support DAI marketing initiatives, and keep DAI corporate and project staff updated on critical company developments.
Roles and Responsibilities
Working with the Senior Manager of Corporate Communications, conceptualizes, drafts, and edits high-quality content (feature articles, news items, project descriptions, good news bulletins, marketing fliers, personnel profiles, etc.) for DAI’s internal and external communications channels, including dai.com, social media, and DAI’s intranet. Prepares the DAI Weekly Notes. Helps keep dai.com current. Supports DAI’s social media outreach. Provides billable short-term technical assistance to projects as needed (research, writing, event support, social media, etc.). Helps populate the editorial calendar, mapping out strategically important events for DAI communications activities. Represents DAI at select events and supports events, seminars, conferences as needed.
- Administrative Tasks:
Procures and manages DAI marketing collateral. Helps manage the marketing flier help desk and provides marketing materials as requested.
Additional responsibilities as necessary as business needs evolve.
Grade 5: Bachelor’s degree plus two years of work experience, or a master’s degree.
Grade 6: Bachelor’s degree plus three years of work experience, or master’s degree plus one year of work experience.
Grade 7: Bachelor’s degree plus four years of work experience, or master’s degree plus two years of work experience.
Grade 8: Bachelor’s degree plus five years of work experience, or master’s degree plus three years of work experience.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to contribute to the team with ideas and energy.
- Proficient in social media.
- Good judgment and ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities on deadline.
- Ability to travel to all countries where DAI implements its projects, barring times when DAI Global security has deemed travel unsafe.
Equivalent combinations of experience and education will be considered.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word/Excel/PowerPoint) or other word processing, spreadsheet, or presentation software.
- Experience in journalism, technical writing, public relations, or other communications-related field.
- Complementary skills such as graphic design, web content management, video/photo editing and visual storytelling, infographics.
- Degree in related field (communications, journalism, media, PR, technical writing).
- Knowledge of the international development industry and community; international work experience desirable
Supervisory Requirements: None
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. EOE- Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
About the Organization
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS, avian influenza control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments