Cardno US implements the USAID Papua New Guinea (PNG) Biodiversity Program and PNG Women’s Global Development and Prosperity Initiative-funded Promoting Women’s Economic Empowerment Project. By linking these projects together, efforts to empower women in PNG will be enhanced while PNG’s capacity to manage its environmental resources will be strengthened. Both programs focus on building the capacity of women along natural resource-based value chains in PNG, as a method to improve economic outcomes for women and promote conservation of the country’s exceptional biodiversity. The Women’s Global Development and Prosperity program specifically supports capacity building and development of economic opportunities and enterprises of women working in natural resource-based activities. It is widely recognized that investing in women often pays significantly higher social and development dividends than many other options. The biodiversity program will reduce threats to priority biodiversity hotspots in PNG by supporting communities to manage their customary lands and waters, and effectively identify alternative livelihoods, with WGDP ensuring the empowerment of women is kept at the center of program work.
Cardno seeks a communications consultant to assist in developing an integrated communications program including the full range of products that should be produced for Cardno’s two USAID projects in Papua New Guinea. In addition to developing the full list of products that should be produced, the successful consultant will work with Cardno project communications staff to develop templates for all products, a schedule/calendar that guides production schedules, and at least 2-3 initial documents demonstrating project successes. Responsibilities:
- Review program documents for Cardno’s USAID funded PNG Biodiversity and Women’s Economic Empowerment projects and develop a comprehensive list of all required and supplemental communications products appropriate for each project including written, radio, social media, video, audio and web-based communications products.
- Work with Cardno communications team staff to establish a comprehensive production schedule for all recommended products.
- Conduct a series of meetings using Zoom, Skype or other remote communications platform to work with staff to finalize the communications program plan and calendar.
Qualifications: Required Minimum Education:
- Draft and Final communications program plans for Cardno’s USAID-funded biodiversity and women’s economic empowerment projects in PNG.
- Comprehensive production calendar that provides schedules for conceptualization, drafting, review, finalization and publishing of all communications products identified.
- Recommendations of 5-7 communication indicators for the PNG context to be used by Cardno to measure its successful communications program in Papua New Guinea.
- Recommendations for the structure of a project website that effectively communicates project news, information, progress and successes in line with USAID expectations.
BS/BA in relevant field of study (MS/MA strongly preferred)Required Experience:
At least 10+ years of experience communications and development work in SE Asia and the Pacific Islands with PNG experience preferred. Knowledge and Skills:
- Direct experience working on communication programs/issues in Papua New Guinea and the Pacific Islands;
- Experience working as a communication consultant on USAID-funded projects with a successful portfolio of products for review upon request;
- An understanding of the biodiversity, gender and women’s empowerment issues in the region, with experience in PNG preferred;
- Knowledge of USAID communications guidelines, templates, and other relevant materials;
- Excellent conceptual, oral and written communication skills in English;
- Experience in Papua New Guinea a plus.
Equal Opportunity statement:
- Estimated Period of Performance: August 1-30, 2020
- Estimated LoE: To be determined
Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Cardno
is a professional infrastructure and environmental services company, with specialist expertise in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world. Cardno’s team includes leading professionals who plan, design, manage and deliver sustainable projects and community programs. Cardno is an international company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange [ASX:CDD].
Visit our website at www.cardno.com/internationaldevelopment - to learn more about Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd.
Applicants must submit their CV and Cover Letter, including “PNG and Job Title” on the subject line of the email. CV and cover letter should be sent to the following email address: email@example.com.