The Office of Communications plays a central role in the work of the Foundations by coordinating and strengthening the public presence of the global network and by helping to advance relevant issues. Communications works to raise the Foundations’ public profile by promoting the network’s many noteworthy achievements as well as responding to attacks from opponents of open society around the world. The department employs media outreach, publications, and the web to assist dozens of Open Society foundations and programs in their communications efforts.
The Office of Communications seeks a European communications officer to be based in our London office. The officer will contribute to and implement communications and outreach strategies of the Open Society Foundations and work closely with different parts of the organization on their communications needs.
Strategy and Issue Expertise
- Responsible for contributing to, communicating and executing complex media and communications strategies inside the organization and/or in the fields of specialization with associated budgets and work plans;
- Lead work with specific programs;
- Responsible for problem solving both independently and collaboratively;
- Project management including effective deployment of time, money, and human resources, network-wide or with specific programs;
- Comprehensive, specialized knowledge of communications and a strong understanding of key open society issues, including leading figures and thinking;
- Ability to manage multiple interests, complex political and cultural factors, and management of long- and short-term goals.
Media Relations and Writing
- Identify communications and media opportunities to better shape and amplify Open Society issues and grantees;
- Position key Open Society Foundations’ messages, people, and grantees, in print, online, broadcast, radio, and other media;
- Draft and edit Op-Eds, letters-to-the-editor, and press releases;
- Establish and cultivate relationships with local and regional print, broadcast, radio, and online media in Europe and elsewhere;
- Elevate the Open Society Foundations’ work, advising colleagues of important developments and media opportunities;
- Identify possible communications and media risks and develop strategies to mitigate them; handle communications crises.
- Produce and curate web material;
- Develop and implement social media strategies;
- Work closely with the digital team to implement overall digital strategy for the organization.
Training and Networking
- Educated to degree level in a relevant field;
- Over eight years’ relevant communications experience including but not limited to journalism OR experience as a communications professional in the not-for-profit or private sector;
- Excellent English-language writing and editing ability, as well as verbal skills;
- Proven skills in the development of communications strategies;
- Excellent skills in writing for and pitching to media;
- Social media and digital expertise;
- High level of self-motivation, initiative, and creativity;
- Willingness to travel extensively for work;
- Diplomatic manner and ability to adapt to a range of cultures and experiences in interacting with program management, colleagues at all levels, contacts, and the public.
Application Instructions: Please apply via our website.
*Please upload a cover letter, resume and published writing sampleas one document when submitting an application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations, and we welcome and actively seek applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.
About the Organization
The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant societies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people.
We seek to strengthen the rule of law; respect for human rights, minorities, and a diversity of opinions; democratically elected governments; and a civil society that helps keep government power in check.
We help to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights.
We implement initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media.
We build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information.
Working in every part of the world, the Open Society Foundations place a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of people in marginalized communities.