About the Scaling Innovation practice
Finding innovative solutions to complex development challenges is essential to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals and enable billions to overcome hardship. Innovations in health, education, agriculture, finance, and other sectors have been vital in the lifesaving and life-improving breakthroughs of recent times. Where inadequate practices slow progress, more effective approaches need to be found.
Through R4D’s wider programming, our Scaling Innovation practice connects with a wide diversity of actors at global, regional and country levels committed to doing development differently. In partnership, we facilitate the design, testing and scaling of new solutions to complex challenges. We also provide thought leadership through our unique position managing two highly respected global innovation initiatives: the International Development Innovation Alliance, a platform bringing together senior leadership from the innovation teams of leading development agencies; and Global Innovation Exchange, world’s largest database of development innovations on a mission to help scale these innovations by providing data, tools, analytics and connectivity to various actors in the innovation ecosystem.
R4D is seeking a Communications Officer (CO) to work on our growing portfolio of projects and initiatives within the Scaling Innovation practice, including but not limited to Global Innovation Exchange (GIE) and the International Development Innovation Alliance (IDIA).
The preferred candidate would be someone with experience in international development. The ideal candidate is excited about analytics - finding innovative ways to track success, experienced in marketing campaign production across various channels with a specialization in digital marketing, an excellent content creator/storyteller and skilled at expertly managing communications for various programs simultaneously.
This position is based in Washington DC and will report to the Program Lead for Global Innovation Exchange with a dotted line to various program leads for their respective communication needs.
- Working with program leads, refine the strategy for, and lead the implementation of, communications for selected Innovation Practice programs as required (these are likely to include, but are not limited to, GIE and IDIA).
- Develop communications and branding guidelines/protocols for programs where required to encourage consistency and alignment across program outputs, including developing templates for documents, presentations and other deliverables.
- Review (or develop where needed) program outputs such as Quarterly/Annual reports for donors, to ensure consistency and alignment with the guidelines/protocols.
- Engage with program stakeholders and users - both internal to R4D and external within contractor/partner/client organizations - to gather stories, testimonials and other content which can be used to develop outputs which effectively communicate progress and impact.
- Develop materials for various marketing channels including events and other ad-hoc opportunities (flyers, presentation slides, etc.), program websites, blogs, newsletters and social media.
- Own email automation for GIE including setting up new email alerts and improving existing ones in Customer.io (email service provider) and coordinating with developers on API calls and other requirements.
- Lead the analytics for program websites and all relevant marketing channels (e.g. email and social media), developing regular (weekly-quarterly) reports for stakeholders and making recommendations for enhancements.
- BA/BS with 6+ years of experience or master’s degree with 3+ years of experience.
- A demonstrated knowledge of global and international development issues, and proven experience of leading marketing and communications activities in this landscape.
A marketing and communications expert with:
- Understanding of strategic communications, including leading development and implementation of strategic communications plans.
- Familiarity with emerging marketing and communications trends, including storytelling.
- Ability to work with senior technical staff to understand their areas of expertise, then convey technical and complex concepts in a clear and understandable way to diverse audiences.
An experienced marketing campaign producer with:
- Content creation skills to deliver excellent English-language writing and engaging visual outputs.
- A keen eye for detail and exceptional editorial skills, including ability to accurately proofread and review documents for language, layout, and formatting consistency.
- Extensive digital marketing experience and expertise in a range of social media platforms, email service providers and analytics tools.
- Experience with Sketch (or comparable design tool), B2B technology marketing and email HTML.
Excitement for and expertise in analytics including:
- Advanced quantitative skills, including in Google Analytics, Excel, data validation and reporting analysis (sorting data, pivot tables and macros).
- Ability to develop innovative ways to track success and develop data-driven stories from incomplete/imperfect data.
- Experience/interest to learn SQL is preferred.
Ability to expertly manage communications for multiple programs including:
- Proven experience simultaneously managing marketing and communications for multiple clients or programs.
- Strong organizational skills, with the capacity to prioritize and work across multiple projects, and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work proactively and independently (especially with remote team members across time zones), and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Willingness to travel internationally (if needed, up to four times a year).
Interested candidates should submit their resume/CV (max. two pages) and cover letter, along with 2-3 relevant examples of their previous work.
Please note that shortlisted candidates will be invited to participate in a case study exercise.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so early applications are strongly encouraged.
About the Organization
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.