The purpose of the USAID Learning Activity (ULA) is to further strengthen USAID/Uganda performance and improve the performance of its implementing partners, with a focus on collaborating, learning and adapting, in order to enhance the impact and sustainability of USAID-supported contributions to Uganda’s development. The ULA will achieve this through three objectives:
- Collaboration: Strengthened collaboration, both internally and with external stakeholders, enables USAID to better leverage expertise, learning and resources; and deepens local ownership.
- Learning: Systematic learning, through applied research, monitoring, and evaluation, informs and improves the relevance, quality, and cost-effectiveness of programs and operations
- Performing: Adaptive management of program implementation and meta-level interventions to improve the quality of USAID program outcomes.
This position is designed to provide broad-based support to the ULA team for communication products many of which are cross-cutting. The position requires collaboration with team members across the project to support the successful documentation of key collaboration, learning and adaptation outcomes. The successful applicant will possess the ability to work with many different people on the team as well as the client to ensure that every product ULA is responsible meets minimum standards for quality and design.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Completes editing and formatting tasks to finalize program documents and communications consistent with USAID branding and written standards
- Ensures the smooth execution of training and events, i.e. Securing venue, managing invitations, planning the agenda, events management, rehearsing speakers
- Participate in field visits, support community outreach efforts
- Develops news and success stories for USAID/Uganda and QED Group to share externally
- Identifies local expertise to supplement the team when needed, e.g. video production, graphic design, graphic facilitation
- Support development and finalizing of work plans and reports to USAID client
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or similar
- Minimum three years of experience communications, events management, publications, and/or developing marketing collateral, both print and digital
- A proactive self-starter with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team; creative and resourceful under pressure
- Organized and detail-oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience and interest in photography
- Working knowledge of design software and digital communications platforms, e.g. Adobe creative suite, Canva, Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, Eventbrite, WordPress
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
Place of Performance
The COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST will work in Kampala, Uganda with potential occasional travel to other parts of Uganda as need.
Period of Performance
The COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST will serve through the life of the project, June 13, 2024, unless extended by a modification to the employment agreement or terminated in accordance with QED policy and Ugandan law.
The COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST reports to the Director of Collaboration and Outreach with a dotted line to the DIRECTOR of PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT.
About the Organization
The QED Group, LLC, is a full-service international consulting firm committed to solving complex global challenges through innovative solutions. We are determined to provide all our clients with best-value services so they increase their efficiency, learning capacity, and accountability to the public in an ever more complex and interconnected world. Through Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning and Knowledge Management practice areas, QED is working to maximize our clients' return on investment through accountability, continuous learning, and sound management.