Since 2001, Dexis has provided innovative management solutions for a secure and prosperous world. In the last three years alone, Dexis has worked in 90 countries supporting critical missions of agencies in the global development and security assistance space. With triple digit growth in recent years, Dexis was ranked in the top 10 consulting firms by funding at the US Agency for International Development in FY16 and FY17. Dexis was also among the highest rated employers on Glassdoor, where many of its 250-plus employees cited a people-centered leadership and culture as the main drivers to its success.
The purpose of the Education Support Initiative is to recruit, hire and maintain technical, professional, operational, and support staff that supply services to the United States Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Education Office and education sector. It includes full-time positions as well as short- and medium-term consultants.
Scope of Work and Objective:
USAID/Uganda seeks a Senior Youth Specialist to support the implementation and monitoring of the Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS) 2016-2021, which focuses on three areas: resilience, demographic drivers and systems with a youth lens. Under the Office of Education, Youth and Child Development (EYCD), the advisor will provide technical expertise to mission staff on the Youth in Development Policy and effective approaches for youth programming and other resources as aligned with the CDCS. A key element of this assignment will be to provide technical support to shape the youth component of EYCD’s portfolio to better meet the challenges faced by the Government of Uganda.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Analyze current youth programming and approaches from USAID Washington/Uganda/other missions, GOU, international and local organization within the USAID Youth in Development Policy, Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS) 2 and the implementation of USAID/Uganda Policy on Gender Equality and Female Empowerment and Inclusive Development Mission Order.
- Utilizing a consultative process, plot all current youth activities across the Mission’s Strategy (Five Projects) and expected designs. Develop a standard rubric to assess youth integration in projects, activities, and initiatives and a plan to monitor and report on Uganda’s youth activities, including through the development of indicators that measure specific youth goals.
- Review the implementation of USAID/Uganda Policy on Gender Equality and Female Empowerment and Inclusive Development Mission Order with a youth lens and make recommendations for modifications.
- Educate Mission staff on the Youth In Development Policy, Effective Approaches for Youth Programming and other resources, disseminate other youth development related information and respond to youth-related inquiries.
- Support EYCD team to monitor youth activities through collaborative field visits, report reviews, tracking results, and technical guidance to resolve challenges.
- Promote youth interventions and Collaboration, Learning and Adaptation with the youth portfolio and CDCS.
- Track USAID/Washington and other stakeholder youth development
- Support the mission in building capacity to design, implement, monitor and evaluate youth inventions/activities.
- Advise and participate in program and activity integration activities throughout the mission and identify synergies for impact on youth outcomes.
- Prepare briefing materials, issues papers and status and progress reports and contribute to the preparation of standard programming and reporting documents, including Operational Plans and Periodic Performance Reports.
- USAID/Uganda youth programming assessment tool (Month 1)
- USAID/Uganda youth assessment report (Month 2)
- Updated USAID/Uganda Policy on Gender Equality and Female Empowerment and Inclusive Development Mission Order (Month 3)
- Comprehensive and inclusive Youth Action Plan for the Mission’s CDCS (Month 4)
- Other briefing materials, issues papers, and reports as needed (continuous)
- Monthly Report of consultant activity and youth centered progress within the Mission
*Due dates for each deliverable is pending on when consultant starts and will be determined closer to execution of contract agreement.
Level of Effort:
The estimated total Level of Effort expected for this activity is estimated at 123 days
Period of Performance:
The expected period of performance is September 1, 2018 – February 28, 2019
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Education: PhD degree and 7 years of experience, or Masters degree and 8 years of experience in a related discipline.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- USAID experience preferred, international donor experience a must.
Preferred experience and qualifications:
- Extensive experience and background with USAID work specifically with procurement activities.
- Subject matter expert on youth-related programming
- USAID/Department of State Facilities Clearance is highly preferred, although strong candidates without may be considered.
Dexis is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled or Vietnam Era veteran of the US Armed Forces.