Consultant – Feed the Future Mozambique Agricultural Innovations Activity (FTF Inova)
Mozambique Monitoring and Evaluations Mechanism Services (MMEMS), Maputo, Mozambique
The Mozambique Monitoring and Evaluation Mechanism and Services (MMEMS) team provides on-the-ground support on performance monitoring, data verification, gender, impact evaluation, output, and environmental compliance, and collaboration, learning and adapting (CLA) assistance to USAID/Mozambique. The MMEMS main office is in Maputo, with field offices in Quelimane and Nampula.
Under the overall leadership of the FTF Inova Chief of Party, in collaboration with the MEL Manager and the MSA MEL Senior Advisor, the consultant(s) will conduct a mid-term evaluation of the FTF Inova activity and improve the implementation of the program. This includes explaining how well suited FTF Inova’s vision and approach are in the current context, presenting evidence of change associated with FTF Inova’s supported innovations, assess how well the observed changes support FTF Inova’s vision, and recommend adjustments to FTF Inova’s activity design, resource allocation, management, M&E or implementation that could improve the likelihood of achieving the overall goal of systemic change.
- Develop and work with USAID and FTF Inova to finalize the methodology and the focus for the mid-term evaluation.
- Review existing documentation from market analyses, portfolio strategies, implementation plans, annual reports, the MEL-system, etc.
- Review existing data from the MEL-system including baseline data, performance assessments, stakeholder surveys and data collected on program indicators.
- Establish a list of open-ended questions and a list of candidates for interviewing which should be discussed with USAID and the program staff.
- Organize interviews on process and progress with relevant program staff in Mozambique and Washington, D.C.
- Organize group discussions and/or individual interviews with stakeholders and partners.
- Organize a feedback section with FTF Inova to discuss preliminary findings giving an opportunity to clarify any pending questions before the final report.
- A Master´s degree in the field of agriculture, economics, public policy, statistics, and/or other relevant field. A Bachelor’s degree and additional work experience will be accepted in lieu.
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in evaluations; designing methodologies, data quality assessments, data collection, data analysis, data verification and report writing.
- Experience leading evaluations, leading focus groups (of various sizes) and key informant interviews (KII).
- Academic or professional training in performance evaluation design and implementation, including data collection and analysis.
- Strong knowledge, skills, and experience in qualitative and quantitative evaluation tools.
- Familiarity with USG policies related to performance monitoring.
- Familiarity with a diverse set of programming especially, agriculture.
- Previous work experience in the seed is preferable.
- Able to review, interpret and reanalyze as needed existing data pertinent to the evaluation.
- Fluency in Portuguese; good command of English.
- Recent experience using technological innovations when conducting evaluations, such as tablets, smartphones, Fulcrum, etc.
- Familiarity with Mozambican monitoring and evaluation community.
- Familiarity with general Mozambican landscape: culturally, linguistically, historically, and economically.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.