ACDI/VOCA is seeking a Consultant for Machineries and Equipment Constraints Analysis (Oilseeds Sector) for the USAID-funded Agriculture and Food Systems Development Activity (AFDA) in Myanmar. The AFDA facilitates the transformation of agriculture and food systems by increasing productivity, inclusiveness, and competitiveness of the agricultural market system in the zone of influence (ZOI) such as Kachin State, Shan State, Mandalay Region, Sagaing Region and Magway Region.
Myanmar is a significant producer of oilseed. As of 2014, it ranked first in global production of sesame seed and oil, third for mustard seed, fourth for groundnut oil and sixth for groundnuts. Myanmar exports both seeds and oil, with seeds representing the vast majority of volume and value. The oilseed sector is a priority sector in Myanmar’s Agricultural Development and Investment Strategy (MOALI 2018a) and Export Strategy (Ministry of Commerce 2015).
Availability of machineries and equipment especially for harvesting, post-harvest and processing has been identified as a key constraint, particularly in the oilseeds sector. Producers historically use a high amount of manual labor due to large labor supply available but generally use mechanized tilling and land preparation. Farmers have a low use of own/family labor, making labor costs high. In recent times, labor has become an issue due to outmigration, impeding timely performance of production function thus increasing the need for mechanization. The AFDA project would like to conduct a comparative analysis of technology, equipment & machinery and business models with competitor countries in the south east Asia. Region.
The anticipated timeframe for this assignment is August to September 2020 with up to 35 days of effort.
This study has three main objectives:
1. To conduct a comparative analysis of type of technology, equipment & machinery, and business models in supply, distribution and financing of these equipment and machineries in the oilseed sectors with competitor countries in the south east Asia region. Conduct secondary and primary research (where feasible) to identify the following:
a. Mechanization usage (including capacity utilization) for machineries and equipment for planting, weeding, irrigation, hilling and harvesting of oil seed crops and oilseed crushing/processing.
b. Types of machineries and equipment suppliers for oilseed crops production and processing.
c. Types of distribution and financing models for oil seed production and processing equipment.
d. Types of government or donor supported programs.
2. To identify the main constraints in terms of availability and access to appropriate equipment in oilseed crops for the critical production functions that need to be carried out in a timely manner as well as relevant equipment for post-harvest handling and processing to produce sesame products that meet market requirements.
a. Gap analysis between machineries and equipment availability and access and needs of the difference market segments in the oilseeds sector
b. Constraints analysis of mechanization manufacturing, marketing, and distribution of oil seed equipment in Myanmar.
3. To identify pilot business models, policy reforms, or other stakeholder-led interventions that AFDA could support to improve access to mechanization for oilseed sectors.
a. Suggest potential sourcing, marketing and distribution strategies for mechanization manufacturers and dealers in Myanmar.
b. Provide recommendations and options for AFDA-support increased access and availability of mechanization in the oil seed sector in Myanmar.
c. Develop an investment brief for agricultural machineries and equipment in oilseeds sector of Myanmar
· Master’s degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Engineering or Business related area
· At least 7-10 years’ experience in agricultural research, consulting, program design and management.
· Experience in agriculture mechanization
· Experience in oil seed crops highly desired
· Private sector experience in farm equipment marketing.
· Knowledge of investment briefs development
· Knowledge of Myanmar’s agricultural products and exports desired.
· Excellent spoken and written English
Interested consultants should submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 20, 2020:
1. CV specifically responding to required qualifications
2. Sample of similar work conducted
3. Sample work plan – Please provide an outline for how you would intend to conduct the consulting assignment and what additional resources you would need such as local consultants, travel, etc. Note that AFDA project staff will be available to conduct some of the in-country primary research or collect secondary data.
4. Cost proposal – with details on professional fee, travel, and other anticipated costs
Please include the position title in the subject line. The resume and related application documents shall be provided as a single attachment and list long-term employment history and any relevant short-term consulting work. Please highlight results of work done relevant to this scope of work.
Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone or email. Only shortlisted candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.