ACDI/VOCA is seeking a Consultant for Study on Fertilizers and Plant Protection Availability in Key Horticultural Crops for the USAID-funded Agriculture and Food Systems Development Activity (AFDA) in Myanmar. The AFDA facilitates the transformation of agriculture and food systems by increasing productivity, inclusiveness, and competitiveness of the agricultural market system in the zone of influence (ZOI) such as Kachin State, Shan State, Mandalay Region, Sagaing Region and Magway Region.
The objective(s) for the consultant will be to analyze the fertilizer and plant protection product markets in Myanmar to identify key constraints limiting wide access to high-quality inputs to the horticulture sector. The consultant will carry out comparative study with key competitor countries on business, marketing, distribution and financing models that promote wide availability, access and usage of fertilizers and plant protection products. The consultant will propose successful as well as innovations on these business models and approaches to increase availability, access and usage of agrochemical products in the horticulture sector in AFDA’s ZOI.
The anticipated timeframe for this assignment is between September 4 to October 7 2020 with up to 30 days of effort. The primary location of this assignment is Yangon, Myanmar.
- Provide information on horticultural crops’ requirements for fertilizers and plant protection products to achieve competitive yields, including information on economically important pests and diseases of key horticultural crops in Myanmar.
- Comparative analysis with major competitor countries on yields, cost of production of key horticultural crops and availability, usage, distribution, promotion, and financing models of fertilizers and plant protection products for these crops.
- Recommend proven (from more advanced competitors) as well as innovative approaches to expanding availability, access and usage of fertilizers and plant protection products for Myanmar horticulture producers to increase their production, productivity and competitiveness and capacity to compete in major markets for horticulture products.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Agriculture or related area
- At least 10 years’ experience implementing research, including qualitative and quantitative data collection.
- Familiarity with of fertilizers and agrochemical supply chains
- Experience working in marketing and sales of agrochemicals, preferably for horticultural crops
- Knowledge of Myanmar’s horticulture and agrochemical sectors an advantage
- Familiarity with good agricultural practices (GAP) and requirements for optimal production of horticultural crops
- Knowledge of major markets of Myanmar’s key horticultural crops an advantage
- Excellent spoken and written English
Interested consultants should submit the following to email@example.com by August 13th, 2020:
- CV specifically responding to required qualifications
- Two sample reports from similar assignments
- References from previous employer/contracting organizations for similar work
- Cost proposal – to include professional fees, travel, and other anticipated miscellaneous costs
Please include the position title in the subject line. The resume and related application documents shall be provided as a single attachment and list long-term employment history and any relevant short-term consulting work. Please highlight results of work done relevant to this scope of work.
Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone or email. Only shortlisted candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Since 1963 and in 148 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in agriculture, economic growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and social inclusion.