Terms of Reference – Contract and Legal Drafting Expert
Workshop: Three-Day Workshop on Contracts and Legal Drafting with the Libyan Ministry of Local Government
Billable Days: 8 Days (2 days travel, 3 days workshop, 3 days preparation & reporting)
Following completion of a needs assessment workshop in January 2018, ABA ROLI experts and staff identified priority areas where the Ministry of Local Government’s Legal Office requested support for the capacity building of legal office staff and municipal legal officers. These areas include: training on writing skills to support development of key legal documents; training on drafting and analyzing regulations; and developing communication skills including problem solving, dispute resolution, and advocacy.
The first training under this program took place in August with fifteen participants from the MOLG and six different municipal legal offices throughout Libya. It covered the main aspects of practical and effective legislative drafting as well as municipal revenue generation. The forthcoming training, planned for October 23-25, shall focus on principles of written communication and writing skills that will support the legal officers in the development of key routine legal documents, including: administrative contracts, MoUs, memoranda, decisions, reports, opinions, and other legal guidance.
Scope of Work:
The consultant will lead the planning and implementation of a three-day workshop with the MoLG and municipal legal officers and provide expert knowledge and advice to the MoLG in the areas of contracts drafting.
- Design the workshop program in consultation with ABA ROLI staff and Libyan co-facilitator.
- Prepare and deliver presentations over the course of the workshop on principles of written communication; in-depth drafting skills focused on drafting and revising administrative contracts, MoUs, memos, decisions, reports, opinions and other legal guidance.
- Provide material for sessions of the workshop such as presentations, handouts, subject reading material etc. that the trainer deems as useful to the goals of the workshop
- Coordinate with a Libyan co-facilitator on design and delivery of workshop presentations and drafting exercises.
- Facilitate discussion on the workshop topic and provide technical expert advice and guidance to participants during the workshop
- Participate in a workshop debrief session with ABA ROLI staff and consultants
- Draft a report summarizing of workshop outputs, key observations, and recommendations for future work
- Summary report covering summary of workshop outputs, key observations, challenges and recommendations for areas where ABA can further engage with participants
- Copy of all workshop presentation and materials developed and utilized over course of the workshop
Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with the American Bar Association, please call 312-988-5188.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to this posting.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in more than 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.