Nathan is a leading provider of analytic and economic consultancy services worldwide. In the past decade, we have implemented more than 120 projects in more than 50 countries leveraging our global presence in Washington DC, London, and India. From improved transparency and deeper stakeholder engagement to more effective policies and more resilient businesses, we deliver results that impact economic growth, human development, and poverty reduction. We are passionate about applying our deep analytical expertise and advanced proprietary tools to generate economic solutions tailored to our clients’ unique challenges. Nathan focuses on a range of economic development subject matter areas including Trade & Logistics; Economic Policy & Governance; Private Sector Development; Women’s Economic Empowerment; and Financial Solutions.
Nathan is seeking a Grants & Contracts Director for the upcoming Africa Trade and Investment Program (ATIP). This expected $400-750 million new program will work to expand African trade and investment in support of implementing the USG’s Prosper Africa initiative and USAID’s Private Sector Engagement policy. The project is expected to have a significant subawards component using innovative and performance-based subcontracting and grants-under-contract to non-traditional partners (e.g. transaction and investment advisors, financial institutions, and private companies, among other partners) and will be funded through a combination of core and buy-in activities. ATIP will support trade, investment and PSE programming that drives development outcomes in all sectors. Illustrative technical capacities will include: 1) increased trade, 2) increased investment, 3) improved business environment, 4) leveraging strategic African, U.S., and international partners and resources, and 5) institutional support to USAID.
Position Summary: The Director will report to the Chief of Party and manage a subawards team to establish and administer performance-based subcontracts and grants-under-contract procurement processes related to sub-award management. They will establish and mobilize an innovative and efficient subaward system that will enable ATIP to manage, monitor, and achieve its project goals. The successful candidate will also finalize and manage sub awards and ensure sub-partner compliance with USAID policies and procedures. In addition, this role will work with program and M&E teams to ensure oversight during implementation and closeout.
- Oversee ATIP’s subawards program, including innovative cost-shared, performance-based sub-contracts and grants-under-contract designed to achieve large-scale trade and investment results;
- Supervise, empower, and built capacity of staff, subcontractors, and grantees to successfully achieve the goals of the ATIP subawards program in line with USAID and Nathan policies and procedures;
- Conduct subawards solicitation, advertisement, and selection process; design and prepare proposal review guidelines for evaluators, including scoring formats; convene necessary review meetings;
- Manage full-cycle subawards execution and oversight process, including assessing prospective grantees’ ability to handle subcontracts/grants ahead of award, leading negotiations with selected subawardees (including any needed technical or budget revisions needed to ensure allowability, reasonableness, and consistency), overseeing documentation and execution of awards, including ensuring appropriate award structure and oversight plans; and ensuring accurate and complete awards management documentation and reporting;
- Conduct site visits of subawardees, as necessary, and develop appropriate ways to conduct remote and virtual monitoring and auditing in instances where onsite monitoring is impractical, reporting irregularities and concerns as appropriate;
- Coordinate with program team, operations, contracts, finance, and MEL staff to ensure the subawards program is efficient and enables maximum achievement and communication of project results.
Qualifications & SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in international development, political science, finance, economics or a related field required. Master’s preferred;
- At least 10 years of experience in USAID programs with demonstrated successes managing dynamic, large-scale, and non-traditional subcontracts and grants-under-contracts activities;
- Proven experience in the development and implementation of effective, rapid, efficient methods to assist non-traditional subcontractors and grantees in effective award management and compliance
- Proficiency in navigating USAID rules and regulations governing project compliance, procurement, and financial management required;
- Wide experience using an array of subcontract types, including innovative and performance-based uses of CPFF, FFP, and T&M-type awards and grants under contract;
- Demonstrated experience and skill with budget preparation and analysis;
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and teamwork skills;
- Experience working in Africa strongly preferred;
- Fluency in English is required. Proficiency in French, Portuguese, or Arabic would be a distinct advantage.
About the Organization
Nathan is a private international economic and analytics consulting firm that works with government and commercial clients around the globe to deliver practical solutions and achieve lasting results. Whether building frameworks for economic growth or navigating regulatory hurdles, securing infrastructure financing or evaluating and assessing disputes, Nathan’s experts serve as trusted partners, offering clients the analysis, technical advice, and strategies they need for sound decision-making. Known for both technical and service excellence and with corporate offices in the US, London, and India and more than 40 program offices around the world, we offer the following five areas of expertise, honed since we opened our doors in 1946:
- International Development
- Infrastructure, Project Development & Finance
- Economic & Regulatory Consulting
- Litigation & Expert Services
- Advisory Services
For a close view of the company’s international and domestic projects please visit our related project listings and our international project websites http://www.nathaninc.com/services