Head Global is supporting Proximity International (Proximity) in their search for a Controller. Proximity is a women-owned and women-led applied research firm using data to generate evidence for high-impact programming, more effective policy formation and improved decision-making. Proximity was established in 2014 in response to the rising need for independent monitoring, evaluation, and research of humanitarian and development programs in remote-access and fragile settings. As learning strategists using data as a tool for change, we fill critical knowledge gaps by providing world-class applied research to improve the targeting and impact of critical stabilization, peacebuilding and humanitarian programs in conflict settings. Today, Proximity is a rapidly growing organization of talented and motivated researchers, analysts, and technical specialists with an expanding portfolio in countries across the Middle East, North Africa, East Africa and beyond. Proximity is registered as a US women-owned small business with offices in Washington, D.C. and Amman, Jordan.
The Controller ensures effective, efficient, and compliant operations of Proximity’s increasingly complex accounting functions - at the corporate level in the United States, as well as at the regional office level in Jordan.
As a key member of the Finance and Accounting team, the Controller brings leadership and strategic vision to Proximity’s day-to-day accounting functions, works to scale the firm’s accounting operations to support growth, and supports the Director of Finance and Operations on priority corporate initiatives. Based in the United States, the Controller works in close collaboration with Proximity’s Senior Management Team and staff across the firm, and they report to the Director of Finance and Operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage daily accounting functions, including: A/R, A/P, GL, cash, and payroll, including, but not limited to:
- Reviewing vendor invoices to ensure accuracy, completeness, and compliance prior to payment;
- Ensuring that requisite approvals by the authorized Proximity representative are in place prior to payment;
- Preparing timely and accurate payments to Proximity’s consultants, service providers, and subcontractors.
- Enhance and maintain systems of internal controls, and ensure the integrity of all financial transactions, data, systems, and processes.
- Design and drive an efficient and effective monthly financial close schedule and process.
- Prepare timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements that include a balance sheet, income statement, cash flow statement, and related notes.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations.
- Support the Director of Finance and Operations in generating data for monthly budget-to-actual and actual-to-forecast reports in order to enable a regular analysis of financial performance and real-time, data-driven decision making.
- Prepare annual incurred costs filings as required by Proximity’s Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate Agreement.
- Assist the Director of Finance and Operations in managing financial audits with independent and Federal auditors (including the incurred cost audits) and prepare required documentation in response auditors’ requests.
- Liaise with tax advisors to ensure corporate income tax compliance and the accurate and timely completion of all corporate income tax return filings.
- Continuously assess, design, and deploy highly tailored financial, accounting, and payroll systems, policies and procedures aimed at strengthening accounting operations efficiencies and empowering organizational growth.
- Design and maintain an efficient and effective system for a remote Finance and Accounting office management, including:
- Maintain an electronic accounting system and financial files and records;
- Ensure a secure storage of documentation;
- Maintain the inventory system, regularly update it with new items and follow up on the existing inventory conditions.
- Maintain a schedule of corporate insurance policies, manage annual renewal processes, regularly analyze and make recommendations for additional coverage to meet Proximity’s evolving coverage requirements.
- Train, mentor, and supervise the corporate accountant and other members of the growing accounting team.
- At least five years of experience serving as Controller or Finance/Accounting Manager with a U.S. Government contractor.
- A demonstrated ability to think strategically about accounting process optimization, and ability to design and deploy effective and scalable accounting tools, systems, and procedures.
- A proven track record preparing financial statements.
- Experience working with general ledger functions and month-end and year-end closing processes.
- A working knowledge of cost accounting standard and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Familiarity with federal regulations, such as FAR, AIDAR, ADS, CFR, FTR, etc.
- Ability to anticipate and identify risk and proactively propose solutions.
- A commitment to working in a dynamic and rapidly growing organization; and a demonstrated ability to manage competing and evolving priorities in a fast-paced setting.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Experience working with cross-cultural, multi-lingual teams across multiple countries and time zones.
- Experience working in Procas accounting software is a plus.
- CPA or a similar designation is preferred.
To be considered for this position, please submit a CV in reverse chronological order to email@example.com. We will review applications on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Proximity is an equal opportunity employer.
About the Organization
Head Global provides high-quality, carefully customized recruitment and business development services to our international development clients around the world. We find talent specifically tailored to your organization’s unique needs so that you can deliver the best development services for your stakeholders around the world.
Since 2016, Head Global has provided recruitment and business development services to more than 30 international development partners, and worked in more than 60 countries across all continents and in all international development technical sectors.
Whether you need short-term consultants with a specific specialty in business development, project operations, or a niche skill-set; or you need a new long-term staff member in your home office or a project office, Head Global focuses on finding the right fit based on your unique needs. We screen consultants and job seekers based on both their experience and cultural fit. We strive to not only meet your short- or long-term hiring need, but wow you.
Check out our website at www.headgloballlc.com