Role & Responsibilities
To provide short-term support to Medair South Sudan as a focal point on activities related to Ebola preparedness. Act as the focal point for Ebola preparedness for Medair – internally and externally. The Coordinator for Ebola Preparedness will:
- Attend relevant meetings at national +/- field level.
- Collect Medair feedback and provide input and guidance on national SOPs and guidelines, where necessary.
- Ensure good coordination between the different Medair teams involved in preparedness activities
- Provide strategic direction, in close collaboration with the in-country and HQ Advisors, on Medair’s engagement in activities.
- Co-ordinate and implement Ebola preparedness activities as required, at Juba and field level.
- This role may transition into an Ebola Response Coordination role if an outbreak occurs in South Sudan.
Medair is currently implementing four projects within South Sudan, in Renk, Aweil, Leer and through a dedicated Emergency Response Team. Outbreak preparedness and multisectoral response including for Ebola is part of the emergency response team’s mandate. Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time. Short-term: 2-3 months.
Key Activity Areas
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate communication with the team and other relevant stakeholders.
- Participate and proactively engage in Ebola coordination meetings, and working groups at national and, where appropriate, at field level and provide meeting minutes of all external meetings to relevant internal stakeholders.
- In co-ordination with Advisors, develop and deliver training on Ebola preparedness.
- Proactively network and coordinate with the relevant clusters and health and WASH agencies to identify opportunities to collaborate.
- Review and update relevant Project Coordination Agreements, Memoranda of Understanding and other similar agreements.
- Ensure clear internal coordination within the ERT, with advisors (both at country and HQ level), and the senior management team.
- Manage Ebola preparedness activities, alongside the relevant field PMs, in order to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame.
- React quickly to crisis and organize +/- implement appropriate assessments and responses.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of an appropriate health/WASH response strategy.
- Continuously monitor and supervise health/WASH activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impact.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Work with the relevant PM to ensure relevant stock, purchase requests, cash forecasts and movement requests are submitted.
- Support the relevant logistics activities of health and WASH staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of medicines, supplies, etc.
Quality Management/Project Design
- Responsible for ensuring project implementation is according to Medair, donor, South Sudan and international guidelines.
- Contribute towards setting objectives of emergency Ebola-related health/WASH assessments and interventions, monitoring progress, etc.
- In co-ordination with Advisors and PMs, decide on new activities and new project sites and provide input regarding future plans and changes.
- Work with the relevant PM to complete Security Risk Assessments for Ebola-related interventions.
- In co-ordination with the Country Staff Health Focal Point, assess the need for and contribute towards the design and implementation of in-country Ebola-related staff health protocols and procedures.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree or diploma (nurse, midwife or doctor), or Public Health degree or WASH degree.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years’ post-qualification professional experience.
- At least 1 year humanitarian management experience, must include field level Ebola public health response and ideally to also include experience participating in national-level co-ordination. Prefer experience setting up Ebola isolation or holding centers and training and supervising Infection, Prevention and Control measures.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the ”Current Vacancies” page then:
- apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
- apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.