Requisition ID: req1948
Job Title: Country Director
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
IRC has been present in Liberia since 1996 and currently has offices in Lofa, Nimba, Bong and Montserrado Counties. IRC implements a USAID-funded mulit-year community health program in Lofa, Bong and Nimba and also has a portfolio of women’ s protection and empowerment grants in Montserrado. With the end of Ebola and successful elections in Liberia, the program focus is more geared towards achieving and sustaining improvements in the health and protection outcomes for IRC’ s beneficiaries.
Scope of work
The Country Director will provide the strategic vision and leadership for the country program with the main focus on ensuring IRC Liberia’ s programs meet the expressed needs of the beneficiaries we serve. S/he is responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality programs, maintaining/expanding donor and government relations, fundraising and budget management, security and operations management, and developing a motivated and professional team.
Reporting to the Regional Vice President, the Country Director will work closely with, and receive support from regional and headquarters program technical units, safety and security services, regional finance and operations staff. The Country Director supervises the PACS program Chief of Party, the Deputy Director of Programs, the Deputy Director of Operations and the Finance and Administration Director.
Strategic Planning and Management
* Working closely with the Regional Director, and regional team, manage annual review and implementation of IRC Liberia’ s Strategy Action Plan (SAP) and ensure Liberia’ s SAP is socialized and institutionalized within the country program;
* Engage effectively with Strategy team members in NY and the UK on IRC2020 strategy initiatives.
* Ensure that structures and systems are in compliance with IRC standards, and that they support program delivery and promote management coordination and efficiency throughout the country program;
* Lead a cohesive and effective management team, promoting collegiality and professionalism among peers and conduct regular senior management team meetings and communicate decisions to IRC Liberia staff.
Program Quality & Development
* In coordination with country grants and program staff, ensure that all IRC Liberia proposals are developed using the Outcomes and Evidence Framework (OEF) tools and resources and that all initiatives include OEF core outcome indicators;
* Ensure the consistent use of well managed assessment, design and proposal development processes, prioritizing beneficiary engagement in design and ensuring gender equity issues are highlighted;
* Promote a team approach and positive learning environment utilizing headquarters, country program and operations staff and partners to consistently enhance the quality of design and implementation.
* Commit to improving IRC Liberia’ s ability to effectively collect, analyze, and utilize program measurement data to meet IRC2020 commitments.
Key Partner & Donor Relations
* Strengthen program and support staff’ s understanding of partnership principles, partner relationship management and mentoring and develop IRC as a partner of choice for major local and international donors;
* Develop and maintain a high level of understanding of donor priorities, country plans and planned funding initiatives;
* Maintain and expand participation with key donors, host government, local stakeholders and relevant policy and coordinating bodies;
* Work with the partner to ensure that program activities are reported upon in a timely, accurate and well-presented manner, in compliance with IRC and/or donor requirements;
* Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders in Liberia - including community leaders, NGOs, government ministries/authorities, UN agencies, to enhance cooperation and coordination;
* Represent IRC Liberia in external coordination and policymaking forums and networks, including liaison with donors;
Fundraising and Budget Management
* Ensure submission of appropriate, timely high quality proposals and lead required donor negotiations;
* Provide timely and effective oversight of the financial position of the country program including identification and implementation of required changes to match funding levels;
* Maintain effective and coordinated budget monitoring processes for grant funds and discretionary funds;
* Pro-actively seek appropriate funding opportunities and act as country program representative in discussions with HQ senior staff on strategic opportunities;
* Work with finance and compliance staff to ensure good financial forward planning and deal with audit requirements.
Security & Operations Management
* In coordination with the Regional Safety and Security Advisor ensure that the security management plan for the country program is updated and ensure the consistent monitoring and analysis of the security environment and adherence by all staff to the IRC security protocols and procedures;
* Working with country senior management team ensure the development, implementation and monitoring of financial and operational policy and procedures to ensure constant compliance with IRC and donor policies across the program;
* Promote coordination and teamwork between program and operations staff to improve quality of proposal submissions and program delivery.
Staff Development & Retention
* Develop a positive work environment for all staff supported by a professional level human resource management function;
* Ensure IRC national salaries and benefits remain competitive to attract and retain mid and senior level staff;
* Support and hold management staff accountable for providing staff development opportunities and planning;
* In coordination with the HR department, lead efforts to address staff concerns raised during the annual employee engagement survey and ensure that IRC Liberia has an effective complaints reporting system in place for issues related to working environment and program delivery;
* Identify and mentor high-performing staff.
* University degree in related field or equivalent program management and development experience at senior level;
* Minimum 6 years of relevant experience;
* Proven abilities in all aspects of project design and implementation;
* Familiarity with US and European donors and their rules, requirements and guidelines;
* Proven experience in new business development;
* Experience of working with local stakeholders - demonstrated ability to collaborate with peer agencies, local government and community leaders to work effectively towards a common and agreed upon results;
* Demonstrable experience in capacity building of partners (civil society, public and/or private sectors);
* Experience living in a post-conflict and conflict environment;
* English fluency required.
* IRC and Africa experience is desirable
The position will be based in Monrovia. This is an accompanied post.