IREX seeks a strategic, innovative, entrepreneurial, and collaborative Country Representative to spearhead – out of Kenya – IREX’s efforts to empower youth, cultivate leaders, produce quality information and education, and strengthen communities in East Africa. The initial focus of this position will be on initiatives to empower youth, but will be expanded to include strengthening educational institutions and cultivating leaders.
A self-starter, the Country Representative will continually assess the competitive environment to identify new opportunities for IREX to advance its mission and strengthen is brand in East Africa. S/he will spearhead efforts to capture these opportunities in partnership with IREX’s New Business Development Unit and Strategic Partnerships Unit. The successful candidate will have a solid understanding of the youth development field. S/he will also have proven experience leading strategic thinking processes and approaches and business development activities that lead to partnerships with governmental donors, the private sector and the philanthropic community.
The Country Representative, within IREX’s Strategy and Development Group, is responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the IREX strategy for Eastern Africa, with initial emphasis on Kenya and Tanzania. In close coordination with the New Business Development Unit, the Country Representative ensures the development and execution of specific plans for each element of the IREX’s regional strategy, including identifying and shaping opportunities, engaging key audiences, building institutional relationships, developing partnership strategies, promoting the brand of IREX, and designing new programs. The Country Director also may oversea aspects of the administration of the presence of IREX in Kenya.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy and development:
- Assess the competitive environment to ensure IREX reflects important trends in its planning, strategy development, and programs
- Continually assess national and regional markets for partnership and business opportunities and help prepare plans to capture them
- Identify markets, donors, and program areas that are responsive to the objectives of the country strategy, map out a strategy for engaging with or accessing them, and execute that strategy.
- Develop local partnership strategies for specific opportunities or initiatives.
- Elaborate the tracks of the regional strategy and executing them at the country level and, as assigned, at the regional level.
- Develop a system for tracking, monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the country/regional strategy.
- Lead, or support with technical writing, strategic advice, teaming ideas, and cost solutions proposals prepared by the NBDU.
- Identify local experts for initiatives and proposals and develop databases of expertise.
- Ensure effective coordination with the NBDU, the Center for Applied Learning and Impact and the Strategic Partnerships Unit.
- Support the creation of a team culture that encourages risk-taking, innovation an ethos of excellence, and a commitment to results.
Representation and Outreach:
- Identify high level external audiences or stakeholders (media, pubic officials, donors, and key influencers), map out a strategy for reaching out to them, and effectively engage with them to disseminate key messages and facilitate direct relationships between them and IREX. Cultivate intentionally and methodically relationships with key influencers.
- Design, oversee, or execute as needed, the organization of special events in country or region of responsibility in coordination with the Strategic Communications Unit.
- Proactively develop and curate strategic content and increase audience engagement on IREX’s social media channels in country or region of responsibility.
- Draft “thought leadership” products such as op-eds, articles, or essays for placement in external publications.
- Represent IREX in meetings with external stakeholders.
- Oversee day-to-day administrative operations by assigned country office staff
- Oversee management of IREX office facilities as appropriate
- Conduct surveys of local salaries and benefits
- Maintain a healthy and empowering office environment that encourages participation and open communication, and high levels of staff engagement and well-being.
- Liaise with local legal counsel on topics such as registration, tax and labor law issues
- VAT Waivers and Reports
- Obtain VAT or other applicable tax waiver from the US Embassy or local authorities
- Ensure annual reports are submitted to IREX Grants and Compliance Unit
- Oversee and make recommendations for optimizing office shared staff and other shared resources
Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 3 or more years of progressive experience with strategy development and strategic stakeholder mapping and engagement in country or region of responsibility
- 5 or more years of experience with planning, designing, resourcing and implementing business development initiatives. This includes the ability to write proposals, bids, and statements of interest
- 7 or more years of progressive experience in international development.
- Direct professional experience in youth programming, including pathways to employment, skills development, employability and entrepreneurship, and leadership development
- Advanced experience with programs funded by bilateral donors including but not limited to USAID, the US Department of State, Department for International Development (DFID), the United Nations Development Program, Swedish International Development Agency, Global Affairs Canada
- Experience building relationships with private sector companies and foundations, and other major donors in the region
- Strong writing and verbal communications skills
- Experience with managing teams and operations strongly preferred
- A master’s degree in a relevant field strongly preferred
- Fluency in Swahili strongly preferred
- Tasks involve some physical effort, i.e. some standing and walking, or frequent light lifting (2.5-5 kg.); or minimal dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs, or body in the operation of office equipment. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard.
- Extended period of sitting at a workstation or desk. Manual dexterity to work efficiently on a computer keyboard.
- Task requires:
- Sound perception and discrimination
- Visual perception and discrimination
- Oral communications ability.
All employees are responsible for their own safety, as well as that of others in the workplace. To help us maintain a safe workplace, everyone must be safety-conscious at all times. This position is performed in a typical office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. Safe use of IREX equipment, as well as safe practices while on IREX property is essential
Please go to https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=o4MP7fww&s=Devex to submit your CV for consideration.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
About the Organization
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $80 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.