The Data Scientist is responsible for leading the data analytics team for implementing the Remote Monitoring of Using Proxy Indicators for Monitoring Women Empowerment In Afghanistan. He or she will be responsible for leading, design, and implementation of foundational researches for both telecom and banking data, particularly conducting telecom and banking data analytics, computing the big data, apply machine learning, text mining, predictive analysis and modeling complex systems. At the same time he/ she will be responsible for leading the communication with data partners, key stakeholders including government agencies, donors and other organizations with similar experiences. Also he / she will lead and facilitate the project review workshop and present the progress till date.
The position will mainly involve and support the implementation of the Feasibility Study of Using Proxy Indicators for Monitoring Women empowerment in Afghanistan. Additionally, the job holder may spend up to approximately 80% of her/his working time focusing on implementation of this project, but up to 20% on a second area (e.g. Monitoring, Evaluation, MIS and GIS). This is to ensure that the Unit and its staff members are flexible and can adapt as funding and programs change; and, it ensures that MERL staff have a broad and professional understanding of MERL, which will enable them to progress their career within AKF (Afg). Where individuals wish to specialize their career, this will also be considered and supported accordingly.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- In close coordination with the project manager, coordinate and establish partnership with data sources such as mobile and banking data partners.
- Lead and facilitate stakeholder analysis, including active participation in meetings with stakeholders such as relevant government agencies, donors, data partners, ethic and legal expert, and data analytics partners.
- Facilitate and coordinate the project’s review workshop, ethic committee meetings and ensure that discussions are documented and reflected in donor reports and researches.
- Assess the capacity gaps in AKF, Afghanistan related to remote monitoring, including data engineering, data analytics and use of proxy indicators and develop an appropriate plan for capacity building and recruitment of new staff.
- Lead, design, and conduct foundational researches on telecom and banking data characteristics and summarize the feasibility of using the big data sources for monitoring women empowerment in Afghanistan.
- Employ sophisticated analytics programs, machine learning, and statistical methods to prepare data for use in predictive and prescriptive modelling.
- Automate work through the use of predictive and prescriptive analytics.
- Explore and examine data to find hidden patterns and tell stories to key stakeholders based on their analysis.
- Selecting features, building, and optimizing classifiers using machine learning and data mining using state-of-the-art methods.
- Expanding the telecom and banking data with secondary sources of information when needed.
- Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that relevant for building analytic system.
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis.
- Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner
- Creating automated anomaly detection systems and constant tracking of its performance.
- Ensure that all data for project reports are collected and documented in appropriate system and contribute to the project reports, including donor reporting.
- Document and draft the review workshop discussion, findings and action and follow up.
- Drafting and writing the foundational research report for mobile and banking data.
- Document and report on stakeholder analysis including meetings minutes with stakeholders.
- Support the coordination on timelines, budget, responsibilities and expected deliverables of the signed project and studies.
- Support the coordination of reporting and dissemination events at national and regional levels.
- Support and coordinate with MERL team on the capacity building related to monitoring, remote monitoring and related skills.
- Commitment to Child Safeguarding/ Child Protection:
- To carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects AKF (Afg)’s commitment to protecting children, vulnerable groups, disabled rights in accordance with the Child Safeguarding Policy and other relevant policies.
Occasional significant duties and responsibilities:
- Support MERL team with monitoring, evaluation, research and learning.
- Provide support to regional team in terms of design and conducting researches.
- Perform relevant duties assigned by the supervisor
Decision-Making & Authority:
Management and supervision
- Update team member for any special task and support
- Ensure that consultation with staff, beneficiaries and partners is a key element of AKF’s work
- Lead, design and implement foundational researches on telecom and banking data characteristics.
- Support the team and contribute to team work environment within MERL.
- At least Bachelor’s degree in computer science, data science and related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in the same field.
- Proficiency in related computer software
- Experience with machine learning
- Good understanding of proxy indicators, hypothesis test and data science.
- Ability to facilitate and discuss during meetings
- Adaptable and professional attitude with excellent interpersonal and facilitation skills
- Self-motivated, pro-active, efficient, reliable and creative
Required Core Competencies:
- Good oral and written skills in English
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Experience working in tough environments with many environmental challenges
- Having quantitative and qualitative research skills.
- Promoting Organizational learning and knowledge sharing:
- Seeks feedback from others, shares his/her own knowledge with the team
- Client Orientation: Increase clients trust, represents them in the organization and provides on time assistance and support to them.
Interested applicants should submit their application along with the cover letter to http://www.akdn.org/careers no later than 18 Feb 2020.
- Please quote the Vacancy Number as the Subject of the e-mail when applying
- No supporting documents (e.g. diplomas, recommendation letters, identification card(s) etc.) are required at this stage.
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for further assessment.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Aga Khan Foundation Afghanistan recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to equal opportunity and safe guarding of children, beneficiaries, partners, community members and employees in accordance with AKF(Afg)’s safeguarding policy.
Your details and information shared in this advertisement shall remain confidential.
About the Organization
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) is a non-denominational international development agency established in 1967 by His Highness the Aga Khan. Its mission is to develop and promote creative solutions to problems that impede social development, primarily in Asia and East Africa. Created as a private, non-profit foundation under Swiss law, it has branches and independent affiliates in 19 countries.
The Aga Khan Foundation, Afghanistan (AKF (Afg)) is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a group of international, private, non-denominational development agencies working to improve living conditions and opportunities for people in some of the poorest parts of the developing world. The Network’s organizations have individual mandates that range from the fields of health and education to architecture, rural development and promotion of private-sector enterprise and institutions that seek to empower communities and individuals, usually in disadvantaged circumstances, to improve living conditions and opportunities.