At the request of USAID/ Paraguay and the USAID Bureau for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC), PSE Support will undertake a Private Sector Landscape Assessment (PSLA) in Paraguay. The PSLA will be designed with Democracy and Governance (DG) objectives in mind; it will engage private and public sector actors to gain an understanding of how the private sector may promote a strong culture of lawfulness in Paraguay and achieve the three main areas considered as Development Outcomes by USAID: strengthening rule of law, efforts to formalize the economy; and civil society engagement and oversight.
The PSLA will be completed in two phases:
1) Ecosystem Mapping
2) Identifying Potential Partners and Solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Working with the PSLA Director and Manager, the DG Strategic Advisor will assume a role to ensure the PSLA engages with DG objectives and the PSLA’s targeted areas. Duties include…
- Provide expert advice on rule of law issues in Paraguay, in regards to policy, political context, and corruption to professional and technical staff of the extended PSE Support team.
- Provide expert advice on the legal framework related to doing business in Paraguay.
- Map and Identify stakeholders and partners engaged in matters of Rule of Law, including government branches, government agencies, civil society organizations, businesses and business associations.
- Advise the PSLA Team in identifying risks and associated impact to the private sector due to the lack of rule of law and/or its compliance and enforcement.
- Develop strategies and a list of potential private sector partners to address their specific business challenges related to the rule of law in Paraguay. In this way, these strategies would deliver on 1) USAID Paraguay’s development outcomes and 2) private sector growth.
Experience and Education Required
- Master’s degree/JD in international development, law, business, economics, or related field
- Experience working with the private sector on matters of rule of law (preferred)
- Experience with formalization of business, and/ or democracy & governance (desirable).
- Knowledge of the local Paraguayan private and public sector context.
- Past experience working on USAID or other donor funded projects is preferred
- Ability to communicate in workplace settings in both English and Spanish
- Located in Paraguay (preffered)
About the Organization
USAID awarded the PSE Support Mechanism contract to Washington Business Dynamics (WBD) to operationalize the Agency’s Private Sector Engagement (PSE) Policy. PSE Support plays a critical role in supporting USAID and its newly established PSE Hub in implementing USAID’s PSE Policy in order to reduce the cost of development outcomes and contribute to the Agency’s Financing Self-Reliance framework, which focuses on improving country partner countries’ abilities to finance their own economic and social development initiatives.