Tetra Tech International Development Services, headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, is accepting expressions of interest from qualified candidates for the role of Sector Director for the Democracy and Governance sector.
Who are we?
Tetra Tech is a leading, global consulting firm providing practical and sustainable international development services. We have more than 40 years of development experience and use an integrated approach focused on empowering local communities and leveraging private investment to create a safer, more prosperous world for all. Tetra Tech IDS offers a comprehensive suite of integrated services in five key sectors: agriculture and economic growth (AEG), democracy and governance (DG), environment and natural resources (ENR), land tenure and property rights (LTPR), and water resources and infrastructure (WRI). We have established an excellent reputation for our ability to manage large, complex international development projects, providing the right mix of technical assistance, project management, and operational support. We have offices in Burlington, VT; San Francisco, CA; and Arlington, VA; as well as project offices in over 30 countries worldwide.
About the Democracy and Governance Sector
The Democracy and Governance sector at Tetra Tech IDS provides high-quality solutions designed to strengthen local governance and decentralization; institutional and public administration reform; deliberative bodies; anti-corruption, transparency and accountability; and crime and violence prevention strategies. The DG sector also provides democracy and governance analytical services and promotes public financial management systems.
The Sector Director for DG provides both the leadership and expertise to win new business as well as in the design and successful implementation of projects in the sector. The Sector Director shapes and embodies the vision, decisions, technical competence, budget management, and commitment to accountability that are required for success in our business environment. The position requires dynamism and enthusiasm for technical excellence coupled with management of a diverse and dedicated team of democracy and governance professionals.
This position can be filled in either Burlington, VT or Arlington, VA with a preference for the Vermont office.
* Provide leadership, guidance, vision and management for new business development activities in the democracy and governance sector, including enhancing and expanding our core services, diversifying the client base, and cross-selling Tetra Tech services;
* Grow sector’s portfolio and maximize sector revenue contribution;
* Strengthen the sector’s delivery of effective democracy and governance projects and strategies;
* Represent the DG sector to clients, other technical sectors, and other business units (“operating units”) in Tetra Tech;
* Maintain outstanding reputation with our clients and partners;
* Promote technical thought leadership activities within the DG sector;
* Manage and supervise DG sector associates including making project and new business assignments; setting performance expectations, providing continuous feedback, and conducting performance evaluations; and encouraging professional development as appropriate; and
* Deepen technical collaboration and cooperation with other Tetra Tech International Development Services (IDS) operating units.
* Graduate degree in public administration, public policy, law, political science, or other related field of international development;
* Minimum of twelve (12) years of professional experience, including at least three (3) years of work experience internationally with strong client, supervisor, supervisee, and peer recommendations;
* Track record of technical excellence in project design and implementation;
* Demonstrated ability to grow a portfolio of new DG business with USG and/or other donors/clients;
* Experience leading a team of professionals with diverse technical skills and levels with track record showing ability to effectively delegate, communicate with, and motivate staff;
* Strong knowledge and experience in several of the DG technical areas including: local governance and decentralization; institutional and public administration reform; women’s economic empowerment; service delivery; deliberative bodies; anti-corruption, transparency and accountability; crime and violence prevention strategies, democracy and governance analytical services, and public financial management systems;
* Ability to apply knowledge of USAID Journey to Self-Reliance to USAID project design and implementation, and ability to track emerging client trends and frameworks;
* Record of leadership and strong network of contacts (subject matter expects, thought leaders, client executives, cooperating country officials) relevant to democracy and governance within the international development community;
* Functional competence in French or Spanish preferred;
* Ability to conduct periodic short-term international field work; and
* U.S. citizenship or a valid U.S. work permit is an absolute requirement
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological format
* A writing sample of a technical nature no more than ten (10) pages in length, of which the applicant is the sole author.
Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees - 20,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.