Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the upcoming USAID Furthering Health System Reforms (FHSR) in Ukraine Activity. The activity’s goal is to focus on health financing reforms to catalyze transformation in service delivery (both individual and population), incentivize results and outcomes, and use data as accelerators. This is to be effected through 1) regulatory system strengthening, 2) collaboration with the Ministry of Health (MoH) of the Government of Ukraine (GoU) and the National Health Service of Ukraine (NHSU) to optimize hospital efficiencies, 3) provision of universal health care coverage, 4) financial reforms at multiple levels, 5) private sector engagement, 6) encouragement of appropriate medicine usage, and 7) prioritization of public health and pharmaceuticals
The DCOP will lead the design and execution of the technical implementation of the activity under the direction of the Chief of Party (COP). He/she will provide strategic leadership and direction so that program components are results-oriented, deliverables are high quality, and reporting is relevant and timely leading to the achievement of program goals. The position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Leads and oversees all technical assistance across FHSR’s priority technical areas.
- Provides managerial and operational support to the COP, assisting in areas including work planning, performance management, continuous learning, and strategic communications.
- Contributes to the development of the Activity Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan (AMELP)
- Supports a culture of learning and adaptive management by contributing to data analysis and applying key learnings from knowledge generated to adapt program activities as appropriate.
- Together with the COP, serves as a senior manager to ensure activities are in compliance with USAID rules and regulations and activities meet program targets.
- Supervises the technical team composed of health system strengthening, community engagement, private sector engagement, public-private partnerships, public financial management, and performance and learning specialists.
- Works closely and maintain positive relationship with USAID and Government of Ukraine officials, implementing partners, regional organizations and other stakeholders in support of activity goals.
- Provides guidance and training to managers and staff to achieve activity objectives and intermediate results.
- MPH, MBA, PhD or equivalent in public health, economics, or related field
- 10+ years of experience supporting and managing health reform and/or health financing activities
- Advanced written and oral communications skills. Must be adept at writing and editing reports for donor, internal, and external program stakeholders
- Strong relationship management skills, with demonstrated experience successfully managing relationships with donors and other internal and external program stakeholders and partners
- Demonstrated technical expertise in health systems strengthening, health finance, and/or pharmaceutical supply and management in Ukraine or Eastern European or other former Soviet country
- Demonstrated ability to implement successful performance management systems
- Demonstrated leadership experience and ability to work with minimum of direction and supervision
- Strong management and planning skills of activity tasks and budgets
- Demonstrated team building and team management leading to high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner
- Ability to travel within Ukraine as needed
- Excellent writing skills required
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication, and computer skills
- Ukrainian or Russian language skills preferred but not required
- Verbal and written fluency in English is required
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.