The International Development Division (IDD) of EDC has an opening for a Deputy Chief of Party (Finance and Admin) in Liberia.
EDC has worked closely with the Liberian Ministry of Education, USAID Liberia, and other stakeholders since 2009 in the areas of basic, alternative and accelerated education, youth development and youth livelihoods. USAID Accelerated Quality Education (AQE) for Liberian Children is a USAID-funded four-year project whose purpose is to increase access to basic education for approximately 48,000 out of school children and adolescents, ages 8-15 and is currently being implemented in Bong, Grand Bassa, Lofa, Margibi, Montserrado, and Nimba, through March 2021.
The Deputy Chief of Party (Finance and Admin) will assist the Chief of Party (COP) in providing organizational management, contractual oversight, and supervision of staff and activity implementation for the project with specific responsibility for oversight and leadership of finance, operations and compliance. The DCOP may serve as the team leader in the absence of the COP. S/He is expected to collaborate effectively with partners, MoE and USG representatives as well as other stakeholders working within Liberia.
The Deputy Chief of Party (Finance and Admin), under the supervision of the Chief of Party, will have the overall responsibility for coordination of all the AQE Administrative and Financial activities. The Deputy Chief of Party has the responsibility of ensuring that contractual deliverables are complete and accurate. This includes the following:
- Oversee, communicate across, and lead the financial management, financial compliance and all finance functions of the activity;
- Supervise central finance team in Monrovia; collaborate with County-based team leaders to help direct, support and ensure the quality of work of the county-based finance staff;
- Manage the financial and administrative staff to ensure that the implementation activities are accurate, timely and in accordance with USAID regulations and EDC policies and procedures;
- Oversee the management of funds and all payment systems, including payroll required withholdings under Liberian law and policies
- Plan and manage all financial functions to support a smooth implementation of program activities
- Review all monthly financial report entries for accuracy before sending them to headquarters
- Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of teacher stipend payments, and effectively liaise with the county offices regarding the continuity of the teacher payment process
- Ensure the compliance of all transactions and related documentation with EDC’s financial policies and procedures and ensure required standards are met
- Participate in the implementation of financial procedures and the application of internal controls
- Clearly articulate risks, issues and lessons learned with appropriate senior management
- Train accounting staff as needed and provide capacity building for both the Monrovia and county-based finance staff
- Ensure that the preparation, administration, and reporting of the Annual Plan activities and contractual deliverables related to finance and operations are complete and accurate;
- In consultation with the COP, the Director of Admin and Operations and other relevant staff members, ensure the AQE Policies and Procedures manual is updated as needed, sound human resources management is practiced in accordance with Government appropriate laws and USAID and EDC rules and regulations.
- Monitor project spending, including quarterly analysis to identify over or under spending, bring any issues to the attention of the Chief of Party for action;
- Monitor advances to employees and ensure timely liquidation bringing any issues to the attention of the Chief of Party for action;
- Ensure that required funds are transferred from EDC and other resources are available and delivered to county offices and sites on time for project activities, expenses are incurred to the intended activities and, according to the projects financial rules and regulations, relevant financial reports are prepared accurately and submitted to relevant bodies in time;
- Work closely with the Director of Admin and Operations to ensure procurement, logistics and property are managed and administrated in accordance to projects policies, rules and regulations;
- Oversee financial aspects of contracts, subcontracts and related activities so as to ensure that they are executed according to the established guidelines and regulations;
- Ensure that all employees, beneficiaries and vendors are vetted according to EDC policies;
- Ensure that all administration and finance staff is capable of effectively administrating budget management and financial accountability in presenting as specified in the standards of roles and responsibilities;
- Interface with the appropriate stakeholder officials at the Ministry of Education and other government agencies, with private companies, NGOs and with USAID.
- Be the focal point for financial matters with EDC headquarters and support the Director of Admin and Operations in her role as focal point on procurement matters with EDC headquarters.
- Help develop plans and oversee execution of closeout processes for project within the remaining time period;
- Enter correct information into internal and external financial and business management systems and applications to ensure proper closeout of activities;
- Contribute to staff orientation, training, development, and team-building;
- Perform the related activities as required by Chief of Party.
In addition, the Deputy Chief of Party will:
- Draft relevant parts of the weekly, quarterly and annual reports submitted to USAID
- Write and develop any materials needed for effective operations
- Manage administrative and financial procedures
- Recommend efficiency improvements or future focus areas
- Ensure quality assurance in all tasks and materials
- Facilitate project teamwork and feedback exchanges
- Troubleshoot complex problems, propose initiatives, and recommend or negotiate solutions
- Travel within Liberia and, if necessary, internationally
All staff are expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. All jobs require adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills. Specific requirements:
- Master’s degree in project management, administration, finance or other related field required
- Minimum eight years related project management experience with three to five years in a similar senior leadership role
- Specific expertise relevant to project management, finance and operations
- Excellent analytical skills and aptitude for details
- Capacity to work in difficult conditions and function well under pressure
- Demonstrable leadership, organizational and troubleshooting skills
- Strong report writing skills
- Excellent computer skills
- International experience, preferably living successfully in difficult and challenging environments;
- Experience in West Africa preferred (Liberia experience strongly preferred)
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
About the Organization
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.