The Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) Project is a USAID-funded 5-year, $209 million global task order that works to strengthen health systems as a means to achieve universal health coverage and improve population health and well-being. Interventions will focus on reducing financial barriers, holding health services accountable for meeting all clients’ needs and making sure that the care patients receive meets minimum standards. USAID’s LHSS Vietnam activity will focus on improving health financing for HIV and TB prevention and control, strengthening supply chain systems, and supporting the expansion of the Social Health Insurance (SHI) scheme to improve the provision of quality care and treatment at a national scale. The project will work collaboratively at the national level with the Government of Vietnam (GVN), particularly the Ministry of Health and the Vietnam Social Security (VSS) to support GVN efforts to increase sustainable domestic financing for health, including TB and HIV, ensure quality of HIV care, and to seek efficiencies in health spending and procurement and supply chain management.
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will provide strategic leadership, management, and technical direction in advancing health financing activities and will support the project team, and counterparts in the implementation of activities. The DCOP will provide managerial and technical support to the Chief of Party (COP), assisting in areas including work planning, performance management, engagement with local counterparts, and strategic communications.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the COP in overall technical management and oversight of the Vietnam LHSS activity including supervision of technical leads. This includes working closely with the Country Manager, COP and project leads to develop work plans and monitor activity timelines.
- Provide substantive involvement regarding development of technical management and oversight for the accomplishment of the objectives of the activity including the supervision of project technical leads.
- Support reporting, update and implementation of the technical strategies, identifying technical assistance needs, and mobilizing required technical resources and staff. Responsible for harmonizing the objectives of the activity specifically ensuring effective complementary and efficient implementation.
- Lead the development and timely production of quality deliverables to USAID, such as quarterly and annual reports, work plans, budgets, technical reports, and publications. The DCOP will work with technical leads, MEL and Finance to meet these deliverables according to work plans and timelines.
- Assume primary responsibility for managing the work and monitoring the performance of international and local subcontractors, working with regional and technical staff to ensure that all activities and outputs are technically sound and appropriate.
- 8-10 years of relevant professional experience with a Masters Degree, or 6-8 years with a Doctorate in a related subject area such as public health, economics, health finance, or something similar.
- Proven experience of working with Government of Vietnam and Ministry of Health and/or VSS or Ministry of Finance strongly desired
- At least 3 years of management experience over professional teams
- Proven experience working in leadership roles on international development projects funded by USAID
- Demonstrated knowledge of Social Health Insurance (SHI) issues and key stakeholders in Vietnam, including experience with MOH and VSS highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government counterparts and coordinate various actors such as different Ministry of Health units such as VAAC, VSS, other ministries and government agencies, donors and NGOs
- Proven professional knowledge of MS Office applications and appropriate organizational skills
- Fluent in Vietnamese with excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.