WSP (formerly Louis Berger) is currently initiating a search for Deputy Chief of Party (Program) candidates for the USAID/El Salvador Municipal Governance Project in El Salvador. The Program aims to strengthen decentralization and local government capacity in El Salvador in order to increase security and development. Its focus is on strengthening the ability of municipalities to plan, pay for, and deliver effective, responsive services in a participatory and accountable manner through providing targeted, customized, sustainable, and mutually reinforcing technical assistance to counterparts and partners at the national, intermediary, and municipal levels. The project also has a special focus on promoting urban revitalization in three urban hubs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· The Deputy Chief of Party (Programs) will assist the Chief of Party (COP) in directing the programmatic aspects of the project.
· Lead technical oversight of Program objectives as assigned by the COP and serve as a point of contact with the Salvadorian government (national, regional and municipal levels), civil society, professional associations, and legal institutions on issues that are within the Program’s Scope of Work.
· Oversee the development of urban revitalization plans and the implementation of urban revitalization activities in targeted urban areas, such as historic centers.
· Provide oversight over project’s long-term and short-term technical staff.
· Provide input regarding the need for, qualification, timing, technical consistency, and duration of retention and selection of consultants and oversee their work.
· Develop a thorough understanding of and remain up to date at all times throughout the contract period on developments in El Salvador related to the project’s scope.
· Ensure project activities are integrated and fully leveraged so Program meets/exceeds expected results. Build synergies among the different activities, and pursue areas of cooperation with key counterparts, other donors, and partner institutions.
· Ensure Program compliance with USAID regulations and WSP internal policies and procedures.
· Assist Chief of Party in completing reporting requirements and deliverables required by the contract such as semi-annual reports, work plans and other reports in a timely and thorough manner.
· Coordinate the drafting and review of technical reports prepared by lead and field staff.
· Maintain constant communication with the COP informing him of recommended modifications to work plans and any associated budget impacts.
· Undertake other duties as appropriate and as assigned by the COP to achieve Program goals.
· Master’s degree in social sciences, international development, urban planning, public administration, or another relevant field.
· Minimum of 6 years of international development project management experience in governance in areas such as: decentralization, public administration, public finance, urban planning, budgeting, service delivery, citizen engagement and public accountability. Demonstrated experience in working on urban revitalization initiatives highly preferred.
· Familiarity with USAID approaches to political economy analysis; adaptive management; and collaborating, learning and adapting (CLA) preferred.
· Previous experience working in El Salvador on projects of similar scope and complexity (and especially those having addressed governance and accountability) highly preferred.
· Ability to partner with a variety of individuals and organizations, US government officials, national/local government officials, international agencies, donor organizations, or stakeholders.
· Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) in Spanish and English.
· Strong staff management skills, with experience mentoring local national staff.
WSP USA Inc., WSP USA Buildings Inc., and WSP USA Services Inc. (collectively “WSP USA”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status