Blumont is looking to hire a Deputy Chief of Party (DCoP) for an anticipated five-year USAID/Afghanistan funded program entitled Market Based Jobs for Peace. This activity aims to support enterprise growth in rural and peri-urban areas in Afghanistan by addressing key constraints that inhibit their productivity, their ability to hire more people, and their linkages to major market centers. The DCoP is anticipated to be based in Kabul, Afghanistan.
The DCOP will be responsible for technical leadership of the program to ensure quality, timeliness, efficacy, and efficiency of all products and activities generated. S/he will manage the design and implementation of key components of the program description and ensure adherence to global standards of excellence in workforce development, enterprise development and private sector development. The position will report to the Chief of Party.
Other duties include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee all aspects of technical implementation through leadership and management of project components
- Work in close coordination with other project leadership, including the Operations team
- Lead the project’s program team, comprised of technical specialists – including both Blumont and subcontractor staff
- Manage, guide, mentor and build the capacity of staff
- Foster collaborative working relationship with all aspects of the project
- Work in collaboration with the MEL Director and team to ensure programmatic monitoring and evaluation in accordance to award
- Support the COP in programmatic representation, strategic development and quality control duties; and liaise with USAID and government stakeholders to respond to their informational, data and monitoring requirements
- Review technical specifications of large procurements to ensure accuracy
- Oversee development of technical program description for grants
- Work in partnership with the COP and backstop at Blumont HQ
- In coordination with the COP, engage in frequent, routine communication so that the Blumont HQ is aware of both progress and potential issues, and solicits assistance and input as needed to ensure that performance meets or exceeds technical agreement requirements
- Ensure that technical activities are carried out according to USAID and Blumont’s policies and procedures
- Assist the COP in managing international partners and local grantees to ensure that their performance meets or exceeds technical agreement requirements
- Maintain a working knowledge of project financials, working with and supporting the COP ensure that appropriate systems and procedures are in place and being followed
- Support the COP in the preparation of annual work plans and ensure technical quality and cooperation with project staff, USAID, and the Ministry of Industry and Commerce
- Develop and deliver reports and written documentation related to technical activities to be reported to USAID, including weekly, quarterly and annual reports
- Develop short-term technical assistance plan
- Monitor consultant work in the field
- Support communications and knowledge management efforts; drafting technical notes, documenting best practices, and refining success stories
- In absence of the COP and as designated by the COP, DCOP serves as acting COP of the project.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Advanced degree in a relevant technical field is preferred, Bachelor level or equivalent required
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in senior managerial levels with previous work experience with previous experience on donor funded programs is required
- Prior DCOP experience on projects of similar complexity in Afghanistan, with an excellent understanding and knowledge of USG and USAID regulations, administration, management, reporting procedures and systems is preferred
- Highly self-motivated and creative, collegial and professional
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, writing and computer skills required
- Fluency in English, Dari and/or Pashto is required
- Afghan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Blumont is a global organization working in concert with local communities to design and implement innovative approaches to build infrastructure, deliver lifesaving humanitarian assistance, and foster opportunities for long-term stability and development. With two decades of experience working in the world’s most challenging environments, we have the capacity to effectively operate in nearly any conditions. Blumont serves refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of conflict, and other underserved populations through programming tailored to local contexts and needs in order to empower communities from relief and recovery to sustainable resilience.