Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. (Cardno) seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for an upcoming USAID-funded institutional capacity building and agricultural market development program, the Agricultural Systems and Institutional Strengthening Activity. The program aims to support Ugandan institutions on the journey to self-reliance by strengthening their capacity to drive improvements in the agricultural market system. The program will work closely with public and private sector organizations (including the Government of Uganda, apex organizations, producer associations, and economic policy bodies), improving business practices, supporting institutional reorganization and developing strategic plans.
The Deputy Chief of Party will support the COP by providing day-to-day project management and technical or operations support. H/she will support the market systems and adaptive management approach, and work with staff, home office and USAID to adjust programmatic approach, staffing and resources if required based on continuous monitoring of the program course. This position requires technical leadership in agribusiness and enterprise development and ability to work with key Ugandan stakeholders, including key Ministries, financial institutions, industry associations, etc. The Deputy Chief of Party will be required to:
- Serve as the secondary point of contact for the project to USAID/Uganda and assume the Chief of Party’s role and responsibility in the Chief of Party’s absence
- Oversee and ensure quality across all aspects of project administration and technical implementation
- Support the Chief of Party in maintaining management processes across the project, such as project planning, reporting, performance management, grants management, financial management, and procurement systems
- Support the COP in carrying out technical activities related to private sector engagement, small business enabling environments, and enhancing local economic development through a facilitative and adaptive market systems approach
- Ensure market systems approach is utilized across program components
- Provide expertise in Uganda key government and industry stakeholders
- Provide leadership, management and direction to field-level activities, including private sector engagement team
- Master’s degree in a field such as rural and agricultural development, business and marketing, international trade, economics, social sciences, or international development, or other relevant field
- Minimum of 10 years of experience as DCOP, leading large and complex technical assistance projects in developing countries
- Eight years of relevant professional experience that showcases increasing managerial responsibility
- Expertise and experience implementing complex donor funded gender aware nutrition sensitive agriculture programs
- Excellent communication (writing and oral) skills, presentation and debating skills with experience in profiling an organization in an international setting
- Strong international networks and engagement within global agriculture and nutrition networks
- Experience with behavior change communications campaigns to improve dietary diversity and improve health and nutrition outcomes
- Experience in Uganda preferred
- Demonstrated organizational skills and a strong track record in meeting deliverables and deadlines
- Ugandan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply
- Fluency in English
Equal Opportunity statement for U.S. based applicants: Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cardno is a professional infrastructure and environmental services company, with specialist expertise in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world. Cardno’s team includes leading professionals who plan, design, manage and deliver sustainable projects and community programs. Cardno is an international company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange [ASX:CDD].
Visit our website at www.cardno.com/internationaldevelopment - to learn more about Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd.