The Director, Business Development (BD Director) is responsible for directing and managing strategic pursuits in collaboration with all departments within CRDF Global in the framework of the organization’s Capture Process. This position reports to the Vice President of Growth. The individual is expected to operate effectively within and recommend improvements to business development processes, procedures, and policies established by CRDF Global for the development and advancement of a qualified opportunity pipeline. The BD Director is accountable for achieving performance toward corporate objectives for new business growth; resolving problems and challenges that impact results; demonstrating leadership at all phases of the capture lifecycle; and, representing CRDF Global externally. The BD Director also ensures the application and continual improvement of CRDF Global’s capture process, including through training; coaching and direct assistance; development and maintenance of related tools, resources, and references; and metrics. The Director contributes to strategic direction for the division and coordinates with other divisions of the organization to support capture process implementation.
The BD Director will manage a team of BD staff. The BD Director requires a thorough knowledge of the market, the organization, and its competitors. This role also includes mentoring and coaching business development and capture managers responsible for BD pursuits and task orders.
The BD Director will have a thorough knowledge of the Practice Area markets, the organization and its competitors and will continuously institutionalize data on behalf of CRDF Global.
- Manage CRDF Global Capture Process:
- Establish and assure compliance with timelines for the process from identification of the opportunity to submission and award receipt
- Cooperate with all CRDF Global departments to ensure compliance and understanding of the Capture process
- Develop and utilize tools, templates and work processes to streamline process
- Oversee the capture process: efficient, effective business development; strategic opportunity consideration; and high-quality proposals to our customers
- Organize administrative resources and implement training for staff capture processes, procedures, and best practices
- Collaborate with other CRDF Global departments to identify, qualify and capture pursuits and develop compelling win strategies
- Develop and maintain a robust repository of capture elements to maximize the speed, efficiency and quality of capture efforts including but not limited to account and capture planning as well as proposal generation
- Supervise and provide day-to-day management, professional development and mentoring of BD team who will conduct proposal development and production, and recordkeeping
- Meet regularly with BD and Operations staff to develop ideas and strategies for funding new programs or activities including identifying partners, negotiating roles and establishing teaming agreements
- Develop annual program plans and budgets, oversee financial expenditures, and meet performance and funding targets
- Represent CRDF Global at external events
- As a member of the CRDF Global Leadership Team, the BD Director will participate in Monthly Opportunity Reviews, Human Capital Reviews, Performance Reviews and Growth Strategy Reviews
- Master’s Degree or above strongly preferred in Business Development
- 8-10 years of work experience with management and budgeting
- 6+ years of experience in management of programs involving international cooperation, institution building, or social and economic development
- At least 5 years of supervisory experience required
- At least 2 years of management oversight required
- Proven record of successful business development, including in response to specific U.S. government RFPs and especially agencies with science or international programs (DOD, DOS, CDC, etc.)
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Strong conceptual skills combined with the ability to take ambitious ideas and to break them into manageable, specific sets of objectives in order collaboratively to plan and successfully implement creative, ambitious project proposals
- Close attention to detail and the ability to work under the pressure of deadlines.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally
- U.S. work authorization
CRDF Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). CRDF Global provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran or disabled status.
CRDF Global offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
About the Organization
CRDF Global is an independent nonprofit organization founded in 1995 in response to the collapse of the Soviet Union and the threat of large-scale proliferation of weapons technology from the region. With support authorized by the Nunn-Lugar Act of 1991 and the Freedom Support Act of 1992, as well private foundation contributions, CRDF Global embarked on bolstering the global scientific community and fostering alternatives to weapons research.
In the past 25 years, our work has expanded to address ever-changing global concerns, but our commitment to ensuring the success of our partners remains the same. We are a leading provider of flexible logistical support, program design and management, and strategic capacity building programs in the areas of higher education, CBRNE security and nonproliferation, border security, cybersecurity, global health, technology entrepreneurship, and international professional exchanges.
With offices in Arlington, VA; Kyiv, Ukraine; and Amman, Jordan, CRDF Global’s diverse staff and networks of local community and government stakeholders deliver tailored programs that meet specific regional needs in over 100 countries across the globe.
Our world, healthy, safe, and sustainable.
Safety, security, and sustainability through science, innovation, and collaboration.
We do the right thing.
We care about each other and the people we work with.
We work together to deliver excellence.