Abt’s International Evaluation and Research Group (IERG), as part of the International Development Division aims to increase the impact of policies and programs and provide evidence-based recommendations for policy action by applying the most rigorous evaluation methods to measure program effectiveness. IERG leverages Abt’s extensive domestic and international research and evaluation capabilities to expand its presence in the international evaluation marketplace. The Director will be responsible for providing leadership and strategic direction for IERG, including business development and contract management.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Strategic planning and execution: With Abt’s International Development Division (IDD) leadership, develop a strategic vision for growth for the International Evaluation and Research Group (IERG). Oversee execution of that strategy, including building a robust pipeline of research of evaluation work with key client. Engage with broader Abt community to increase participation in IERG work and build a community of international researchers.. Put systems in place to support the success of the effort
- Business development: Engage with clients to understand their needs, anticipate future work, and seed future work with them. Identify and track upcoming priority business opportunities including participation in cross-divisional meetings. Liaise within IDD and across the company, withthe Division of Health and Environment, and Social and Economic Policy divisions in pursuit of strategic evaluation opportunities. Lead key proposals and provide substantial support to other senior staff who are leading proposals. Work with division management and senior staff to promote Abt’s work and reputation in international evaluation
- Client relations: Develop and build relationships with key clients at USAID, DFID, MCC, Gates, and other funding organizations; serve as a major point of contact for Abt international evaluation work with contacts outside the organization
- Technical leadership/quality assurance: Lead large and complex evaluations. Build thought leadership through presenations at conferences, client events, publications, and talks. Promote Abt’s visibility by marketing thought leadership in international evaluation, working with the Capability Center team and across divisions and method centers
- Group leadership and management: Hire and mentor IERG staff to support evaluation work. Help staff with their professional growth and deliver high quality research and evaluation
- Master’s in economics, public policy, or other social science strongly preferred
- At least 15 years of experience working in international program evaluation, especially in international development
- Extensive experience in business development, including client development and proposal development, with at least 5 years in international development
- Experience leading and managing evaluations, including contract management, project planning, compilation of high-quality deliverables, and managing client relationships
- Excellent managerial and strategic planning skills, including experience managing a diverse team, focused on collaboration, with emphasis on mentorship of staff
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated technical writing skills
- Ability to work and travel internationally to oversee program implementation and provide technical expertise (est. 10-20% time)
- Significant experience conducting econometric analysis in the context of experimental or quasi-experimental research designs
- Expertise in food security and agriculture sector
- Experience conducting or managing rigorous impact evaluations in international settings, including overseeing overrseeing data collection in developing countries
- Experience working with or for MCC, Gates Foundation, DFID, or USAID.
- Proficiency in a foreign language preferred (French, Portuguese or Spanish)
- MA/MBA (15+) years of experience OR PhD (10 - 15) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.