This position is ideal for someone looking to increase his/her skillset as a leader, competent manager and strategic thinker. As the head of a five to seven-person team, this person will take the lead on all business development activity from big picture thinking, to day-to-day management, and the details that make proposals, and ultimately QED Group, successful. This person should be looking to grow their management and business development skill set, while building a high-achieving, fast-paced team.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Business Development (BD) directs and leads the business development function. He/she will manage the BD process and BD team to ensure that QED can meet its annual BD goals. The BD team is responsible for providing overall support and guidance to all of QED’s technical units any business development and proposal work with new and existing clients. He/She works with others in the BD team, and QED’s Programs Division to develop and prepare proposals and respond to business opportunities. As part of the QED senior management team he/she will help set tone and culture or the organization, and actively participate in innovation and other cutting-edge QED initiatives.
Specifically, he/she is responsible for leading a team of 5-7 staff that is involved in identifying BD opportunities (generally in the $10-$25 million range, but up to $100 million), coordinating and managing the ‘capture’ process, developing proposals, assisting with the write-up of select sections, and the compliance and the final production and delivery of proposals including interfacing with partner, subcontractors, and clients. The Director of BD will also be involved in teaming decisions, pricing strategy, win strategies, proposal development, and closing these opportunities. He/she will oversee and provide support in building the capacity of BD team members including proposal managers, intelligence associates, and cost & pricing team members. Other responsibilities include marketing QED’s core strengths to clients and partners, fostering and developing new partnerships, and directing current projects when necessary.
Strategic Management Guidance (25%)
- Achieve a $65 million annual sales target by planning for, identifying, and submitting at least 20 bids per year;
- Improve win rate by developing the strategies, systems, and team to do so;
- Review, revise and consistently implement established, objective criteria for go/no go decisions;
- Lead Go/No Go decisions using the established, objective criteria;
- Identify, manage, and clearly communicate to staff the BD opportunities pipeline;
- Manage the capture process; and
- Participate in QED’s innovation hub and other corporate initiatives that contribute to its organizational strategic thinking or cutting-edge ideas that improve QED’s work and competitiveness.
Bid Management (25%)
- Guide the BD team in reviewing, updating, developing where necessary, documenting, and implementing proposal development templates, resource tools and forms;
- Develop and implement a seamless BD process that is clearly communicated and understood by all;
- Review bid processes regularly, identify gaps, and increase efficiencies;
- Coordinate the production and delivery of proposals as assigned, ensuring that proposals meet funder specifications and deadlines, as well as QED’s quality standards;
- Oversee all aspects of the proposal process from “go live” until award decision, including proposal review teams, coordinating inputs with the program staff, recruitment, cost and pricing, and the contracts department;
- Serve, as necessary (primarily for very large proposals), as the proposal manager for the proposal strategies, teaming agreements, and technical portions or submissions including drafting corporate capabilities, branding and marketing plans, and other corporate documents; and
- Conducting after-the-fact analysis of proposal development to find opportunities for improvement.
Day-to-Day Management (25%)
- Supervise two to three proposal managers, an intelligence associate, and two cost & pricing staff members;
- Report regularly to the management team on performance and goals (i.e. win rate; annual sales target);
- Maintain accurate information in relevant databases, including those on corporate capacity;
- Maintain accurate and timely electronic files; and
- Coordinate with Regional BD lead in Asia
Teaming/interfacing with potential partners/subcontractors (20%)
- Represent the company to potential clients and partners and lead discussions on specific bids;
- Leads efforts to build partnerships and subcontractor relationships and support proposal managers to negotiate partnership arrangements and budget; and
- Coordinates teaming agreements, subcontracts, and other institutional agreements with partners.
Preparing for ad hoc opportunities to present to potential clients (5%)
- Prepare and present formal presentations to prospective clients based on their needs.
- Masters’ degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience required;
- 8-10 years of relevant experience in proposal management and business development activities, specifically USAID contracts;
- Experience in marketing and market development, especially to USAID and the international donor space (DFID, UN, etc.);
- Experience leading key personnel searches for competitive bids;
How to Apply
- Successful track record of capturing prime new business awards with USG federal agencies working internationally and multilateral international donors;
- Experience leading and supporting new business efforts;
- Experience in developing cost proposals and pricing strategies, preferred;
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Advanced project management skills;
- Previous experience supervising staff;
- Well-organized, attentive to detail, skilled in setting priorities and meeting deadlines, and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Works well independently and in teams; proactive in anticipating work requirements and problem solving;
- Overseas experience a plus;
- Ability to travel 20-25% of time; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
To apply for this position please follow the following steps:
- Complete the online application.
- Attach your resume.
- Click on the link: Biodata AID1420-17, fill out the form, sign it, and attach/upload it to your application. You may also include other documents such as cover letter and/or a work sample.
- Submit your application, resume, completed biodata, and any additional documents.
Please note that applications submitted by other means; or without resume and/or biodata will not be considered.
Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Reasonable accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The QED Group, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. AA//V/D.
About the Organization
The QED Group, LLC, is a full-service international consulting firm committed to solving complex global challenges through innovative solutions. We are determined to provide all our clients with best-value services so they increase their efficiency, learning capacity, and accountability to the public in an ever more complex and interconnected world. Through Monitoring and Evaluation and Knowledge Management practice areas, QED is working to maximize our clients' return on investment through accountability, continuous learning, and sound management.