TechnoServe is currently seeking someone who cultivates strong relationships for the position of Director of Major Gifts to support TechnoServe’s Development and Communications team, based in Arlington, VA. The Director of Major Gifts will advance and lead the implementation of a major gifts program that covers the donor development lifecycle.
As a director, the person occupying the post should be fully capable of developing and leading the implementation of a comprehensive major gift program that covers the whole donor development cycle: identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. Success will depend on her/his ability to effectively engage development and communications department staff, program staff, executive leadership and board members. The qualified individual will have a strong track-record of managing a personal portfolio of donor relationships. Key measures of success for the position include: increasing contributed income, growing the overall portfolio of major gift prospects and donors, and engaging personally with donors and prospects.
TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. By linking people to information, capital and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the ImpactMatters charity ratings agency
- Lead a comprehensive major donor program that has a strategic approach to each phase of the donor development cycle and effectively leverages TechnoServe’s existing donors programs (e.g. Global Advisory Council, Mid-level Donors, Partners in Prosperity):
- A robust prospect identification and research capacity that effectively generates new leads for major gift officers
- A comprehensive donor cultivation approach that incorporates personal, online and offline tactics in an integrated fashion
- An aggressive approach to gift solicitation that is appropriately tailored to a prospect/donor’s propensity and capacity
- An effective stewardship program that expresses gratitude while at the same time setting the stage for future gifts
- Manage a personal portfolio of 150+ donors/prospects at various stages of engagement with TechnoServe:
- Develop and manage strategies for the portfolio
- Engage in individual cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities
- Work with staff and board members to effectively engage them in the major donor program:
- Solicit prospect leads
- Engage and support them in developing and managing cultivation and solicitation plans for donors/prospects as appropriate, including developing meeting strategies, talking points and follow-up activities
- Identify funding needs and opportunities
- Establish and continually seek to develop and improve systems, tools and approaches related to:
- Moves management
- Success metrics
- Major Donor program reporting and accountability
- Work closely and effectively with the whole development and communications team to support, and at times lead, the development of content and messaging that supports and advances the goals of the major donor program
- Performs other duties as required
We’re looking for someone with integrity and passion about our mission and possesses the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of experience working directly with major gifts in a nonprofit organization or Master’s degree and 7 years of experience working directly with major gifts in a nonprofit organization
- Experience managing a major gifts program supported by digital marketing
- Experience soliciting gifts from individuals in excess of $50,000
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to think strategically while also managing a challenging day to day workload
- Experience with donor management and marketing software platforms, Raisers Edge and Hubspot preferred
- Proven ability to engage with colleagues and to form strong working relationships in a team environment
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
About the Organization
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With five decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.