Habitat for Humanity Philippines (HFHP) is seeking a professional individual to serve as the Director of Program Design and Effectiveness, on the Senior Management Team, based in Manila.
The goal of this position is to ensure that HFHP sustains its Program Design, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (PD-MEAL), and Construction Quality Assurance / Materials Quality Control (QA/QC) capability to effectively and efficiently design, launch, track and monitor its program and project activities; as well as the ability to disseminate best practice and lessons identified internally and externally.
Program / Project Design
- Understanding the low-income / social housing context in the Philippines and where program / project interventions can have the greatest impact for the organizations target group.
- Leading the development and management of HFHP’s PD-MEAL and QA/QC system, policies, operational guidelines, frameworks, and procedures in accordance with HFH International MEAL and Construction Quality guidance.
- Creating practical tools, innovative approaches and theory of change documents / matrix.
- Facilitate cross functional specialist teams to develop holistic housing and human settlement projects / programs.
Product and Process Design
- Lead the technical development of affordable / cost effective / structurally sound / hazard resilient housing and settlement level products (e.g. houses, community infrastructure, WASH, Disaster Risk Mitigation / Climate Change Adaptation features, etc.).
- Lead the technical development of affordable / cost effective housing and settlement level processes aimed at reducing the vulnerability of communities and increasing their resilience to hazards and shocks (e.g. Community Based Disaster Risk Management, financial literacy, community engagement, hygiene promotion, Construction Technical Assistance etc.).
- Prioritize the use of appropriate and sustainable construction technologies, in product design, ensuring that innovation follows through vetted process to assess effectiveness, structural performance and sustainability.
- Ensure that appropriate cost analysis is included in program design, ensuring that MEAL and QA/QC activities are adequately budgeted for in program design.
- Identify and supervise outsourced consultant(s) and short-term subject-matter expert(s) in supporting the Habitat mission, including, creating terms of reference, technical oversight and reviewing deliverables and reports, as well as ensuring quality and compliance of consultant deliverables.
Information Collection and Management
- Review the performance of existing management information systems and identification potential modifications or resources.
- Design and maintain qualitative and quantitative data collection methods and tools, research/ survey procedures and supervision (e.g. Environment/ community scanning/assessment tools, preparation of questionnaires and guidance for KAP survey, needs assessment, Disaster
- Damage Assessment, Participatory Disaster Risks Assessment - PDRA, housing value chains research and mapping, etc.).
- Oversee, conduct, support key internal PD-MEAL activities including but not limited to carry out survey/research, analyze data processing (e.g. data transfer, entry, verification and cleaning), M&E planning, evaluation, lesson identified documented as required by the program.
Program Monitoring & Evaluation
- Track compliance with HFHI Standards of Excellence (SOE), especially those related to Program-Basic- (SOE 06), Construction- Including Housing Quality Standards, Construction Safety, and Asbestos- (SOE 07), and Disaster Risk Reduction and Response (SOE 9).
- Lead the development the overall framework for M&E systems, including key indicators, outputs, and outcomes, as well as M&E plans including thresholds for evaluation (mid-term/final), and resources to implement the M&E plans. In conjunction with operations staff, conduct regular field monitoring (as planned on M&E plan) visits to assess progress of project implementation, identify problems and issues to be addressed and recommend corrective actions and track follow-up actions, and promote compliance by project impact and deliverables.
- Develop and roll-out PD-MEAL tools, and Construction Quality Assurance and Material Quality control tools and checklists, data management, data analysis, basic surveying and sampling techniques, properly document, organize and capture program progress, project activities.
- For projects/programs that the M&E plan identifies the need of mid-term reviews, final or impact evaluations, carry out or supervise outsourced evaluation consultants, creating terms of reference including defining evaluation criteria and questions (in alignment with OECD/DAC and ALNAP principles for evaluation of development/humanitarian assistance), evaluation methodology-participatory, external, internal- , suggested qualitative and quantitative methods, basic surveying and sampling design, data analysis, and reviewing deliverables and reports.
- Lead the technical construction quality assurance / Material Quality Control, and compliance with Philippines building code (plus HFHI Housing Quality Standards), document noncompliance and accountability measures, and follows-up with field teams and implementing partners to implement recommendations / formal notices.
- Promotes continuous improvement in construction development and processes supporting region offices / operations team through the planning, implementation and monitoring systems.
- Promotes construction safety best practices and leads initiatives supporting regional offices / operations / implementing partners through planning, implementing and monitoring processes.
- Conduct PD-MEAL and Construction Quality Assurance / Materials Quality Control capacity need assessments and provide relevant training courses to program staff and local partners.
- Share and build awareness about PD-MEAL instruments/ tools for purposes of learning and improvement.
- Participate in meetings and initiatives as a member of the Senior Management Team.
- Support the Managing Director in the preparation and presentation of reports to the governing Executive Committee and Board of Trustees.
- Perform other relevant tasks and responsibilities assigned by the Managing Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Master’s Degree in related area preferred.
- Seven plus years of experience in shelter and settlement related sector(s).
- Five plus years of staff leadership and project management experience.
- Solid professional experience with Non-Governmental Organizations, program design, monitoring and evaluation or project management with responsibility for conducting and managing evaluations.
- Sound working knowledge of program design, monitoring, evaluation and learning approaches, including logical frameworks and monitoring plans, multi-site evaluations.
- Experience in designing data collection instruments and managing data collection.
- Strong in Microsoft applications.
- Willingness to travel to project locations with the Philippines, as well as attend international meetings as requested.
- International = 5-10%
- Domestic = 25-35%
To be considered for this opportunity, please be sure to email a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
About the Organization
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need. HFHI has an Administrative Headquarters based in Atlanta, Georgia, an Operational Headquarters based in Americus, Georgia and Area Office bases of operations in Manila, Philippines for our Asia and the Pacific work, San Jose, Costa Rica for our Latin American and the Caribbean work, and Bratislava, Slovakia, for our Europe, the Middle East and Africa work.
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.