Responsible for setting up and managing a comprehensive monitoring, evaluation, research and learning (MERL) system, aimed at improving the evidence-based program design, strengthening decision-making during program implementation, and enhancing the ability to incorporate learning in programs and across division efforts. Foster an organizational culture for learning, evidence-based programming, and adaptive management. Supervise and manage the MERL team to design and implement MERL activities and provide strategic direction for research efforts. Ensure that lessons learned are documented and factored into program design, and programmatic learning is integrated in program implementation to continuously improve the quality of interventions and outcomes.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and direction in the development and implementation of a MERL framework. Including plans, processes, and tools that strengthen the evidence base of strategic interventions and build a continuous learning framework.
- Oversee global and sectoral targets and indicators ensuring performance is measurable and measured, and programs learn from outcomes and impacts.
- Develop and/or strengthen systems and standards of excellence in monitoring and evaluation data collection and data management across programs.
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders and regional program teams in setting monitoring, evaluation, research and learning standards, systems and tools that are pertinent to their regions and applicable to the specific sector or country within which they focus their efforts.
- Develop plans, organize and lead teams, oversee studies and evaluations that help identify specific thematic priorities and theories of change, in areas relevant to programs.
- Engage with partners, donors, research institutions and other networks for knowledge sharing and joint efforts for MERL. Performs other related duties as required.
Required Education, Qualifications, Experience
- Possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university or the equivalent degree from a non-U.S. country; or a Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school or the equivalent law degree from a non-U.S. country.
- Minimum of 12 years of experience in implementing monitoring, evaluation, and research that is geared towards learning, with demonstrated success in managing or overseeing multiple program Monitoring and evaluation initiatives.
- Experience designing and implementing M&E in programs at the field level and at program oversight level with demonstrated success working with program teams in M&E efforts.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in managing a team of experts or staff, either for research or program implementation efforts.
- Proficiency in at least one statistical software (e.g. SAS, SPSS, or Stata, R). Preferred Education, Qualifications,
- Experience Demonstrated success in networking with research or academic institutions.
- Demonstrated success in organizing or hosting global conferences on development issues and themes.
- Proven track record of successful working relationships with US Government.
- Previous experience in designing, monitoring and evaluating rule of law programs.
- The ideal candidate will combine strong management skills and rigorous quantitative/qualitative expertise with an ability to summarize complex data and tell a story.
- Highly developed English-language writing and presentation skills; strong scientific and technical writing skills.
- Previous work experience overseas, and proficiency in one or more foreign languages.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html