Abt Associates seeks a Division Vice President for our International Development Division (IDD). This is a key leadership role within Abt’s senior management team. The Division Vice President (DVP) has full responsibility for developing and implementing IDD’s growth strategy, leveraging the team’s current successes and strong market position. The DVP will have full business development and profit and loss oversight as well as responsibility for staff recruiting, management, and the successful execution of all projects. Reporting directly to Abt’s Chief Business Officer (CBO), overseeing Abt’s global international development practice, the IDD DVP will also seek opportunities to collaborate and partner with Abt Australia and Abt UK on our One Global Abt (OGA) strategy.
Overall, the DVP will be accountable for successfully implementing business plans while remaining focused on Abt’s broader mission of enhancing the quality of life and economic well-being of people around the world.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Business Development: As part of his/her day-to-day oversight, the DVP will focus on activities designed to increase new business opportunities and appropriately position Abt and IDD for future growth and diversification. The DVP will direct new business activities to generate innovative development impact and healthy business growth. S/he will represent IDD through active participation in corporate initiatives and programs, as well as external events and conferences
- Business Management: The DVP has full P/L responsibilities and will develop and execute sustainable business strategies, initiatives, and plans that are aligned with the company’s short-term and long-term objectives. S/he will make investment and resource allocation decisions that will result in revenue growth, and increase profitability. Oversee all operations and business activities to ensure they produce the desired results and are consistent with the overall strategy and mission of the company
- Program Oversight and Management: Working closely with his/her colleagues across the company, the DVP will oversee the implementation of a broad portfolio of projects in the area of International Development, with the objective of achieving consistent excellence in project execution. Under her/his leadership, IDD/Abt will be known at the key client, USAID, for rapid, efficient project start up, project execution that delivers development impact and “value for money” and project closeout that reflects orderly transition, accountability and cost control. The DVP will ensure ongoing communication and constructive dialogue with clients and with potential new partners. In managing the program staff, the DVP will also work to leverage capabilities across the Division and create opportunities for growth and development
- Strategic Planning: Consistent with the company’s overall strategy, the DVP will participate in the development and implementation of the Division’s strategic objectives, priorities, plans, and initiatives. These initiatives will be directed at deepening and strengthening Abt’s market share and presence at USAID and with related clients, such as other foreign affairs agencies and major foundations. The DVP will work with senior Division leaders to identify short- and long-term potential business opportunities, develop capture strategies and oversee proposal efforts to win important projects. S/he will forecast and plan for changing risk profiles and develop risk mitigation strategies against potential changes in the level or nature of the government agencies and donors contracting in this area
- Talent Management: The DVP will have oversight responsibility for the recruiting, developing and managing of key division talent. S/he will make sure that appropriate mentoring, development, and evaluations of performance are completed for all staff in conjunction with the Division’s senior management team. This will include working closely with all staff to build a unified and collaborative team. S/he will be responsible for general communication with Division staff, including holding regular staff meetings and communication cascade sessions to communicate Division and corporate-wide initiatives, policies, and other messages. The DVP will balance and align the interests of the Division with the larger strategy of the corporation
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
The successful candidate will ideally have an advanced degree (MA/MBA/PhD) and 15-20+ years of directly relevant experience, including managing a large portfolio of projects representing significant annual revenue in the hundreds of $Ms. Past experience successfully managing a large, cross-functional team is important. S/he will have a broad understanding and experience working for a government contractor in the international development field. Specific experience in international health programs or international economic growth programs funded by USAID required.
The successful candidate will also have strong credibility within the international development community, as well as a large established network of contacts and colleagues. In addition, the ideal candidate will bring strong management skills , including a proven record of creative and successful partnering with other organizations, building strong client relationships, proposal management skills, financial management experience (profit and loss as well as project budgeting), and experience with workforce planning and talent mobility.
Additional competencies include the following:
- Leading Teams & Management: The successful candidate will have a proven ability to lead and manage, including setting and communicating a vision to all levels of staff and building credibility with staff through technical knowledge, consistency, and accessibility. S/he will have experience leading a diverse team of professionals at all levels
- Setting Strategy: The successful candidate will have experience in both the creation and implementation of a growth strategy. S/he will have a demonstrated record of creating a vision based upon sound business practices and a clear understanding of the market. This will include the ability to communicate plans both internally and externally in a compelling and persuasive manner. This will also include experience on a corporate management team contributing to company-wide strategy and implementation
- Interpersonal Acumen: The DVP must be a leader with the interpersonal acumen, maturity, motivation, and intellect to complement the objectives and mission of Abt. S/he will demonstrate the analytical and conceptual skills required as well as a strong sense of self, a lack of ego, and an inherent drive for results. Above all, the ideal candidate must bring a commitment to the work, mission and business that is Abt
- (15 – 20) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
No agency or staffing firms will be utilized for this search.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com