Request for Expression of Interest (REOI)
REOI Ref: VNSO CS2001 - Recruitment of Economic Statistics Advisor
The Vanuatu National Statistics Office, Ministry of Finance & Economic Management (MFEM) is seeking to recruit a qualified Economic Statistics Advisor (the “Advisor”) to assist the office in providing technical assistance to support the process of rebasing the National Accounts and Consumer Price Index (CPI) base year prices from 2006 to 2019 prices. It is an intensive exercise which would require quite a considerable amount of time on data cleaning, reclassification and reconciliation for the historical series where reliable data are available. This exercise will also form part of the National Sustainable Development Plan (NSDP) in improving the public performance, governance and social well-being of the country’s citizens.
The individual would be expected to cover a significant subset of the following capabilities and skills:
• Minimum requirement of a Masters’ degree in Economics, Statistics, Accounting, or other related fields.
• Minimum of 15 years of proven experience at the national or international level in providing advisory services in National Accounts in general
• Has proven experience working on National Account System 2008 in particular
• Experience in governmental statistical institution is an advantage
• Experience in using statistical computer programs and excellent skills with MS. Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
• Knowledge and familiarity with the economic and social situation in Vanuatu is an asset
• Fluency in oral and written English. French is desirable
More detailed information on the scope of this exercise can be viewed on the attached Terms of Reference.
There is no restriction on the nationality, citizenship or current residence of the candidate. Interested applicants should fill in the Request for Expression of Interest (REOI) – Documents will include all REOI requirements and response forms. Copy of the full Terms of Reference can be downloaded from:
Responses for EOI can be emailed to the Secretary, Central Tenders Board, Mr Yannick Hughes on firstname.lastname@example.org by latest Monday 27th April 2020 (11:00 local Port Vila time [GMT +11] and be clearly marked “REOI Ref: VNSO CS2001 - Recruitment of Economic Statistics Advisor”
For clarifications of the content of this Request for Expression of Interest, and any further information contact:
Mr Ben Tokal - Principal Statistician, Vanuatu National Statisitics Office
Contact: +678 22110 or email: email@example.com
About the Organization
The mission statement of the Vanuatu National Statistics office (VNSO), an agency under MFEM, is to provide quality and timely information through the collection, compilation, analysis and dissemination of official statistical information which are recognised and respected by the Government, international institution, and the general public. VNSO is committed to providing high quality, reliable and timely statistics that are always demanded for development plans. The statistics Department collect data for most sectors within Vanuatu National Statistical system. They then produce statistics to be used for policy & decision making processes, by individual sectors or Government.
The Statistics Department is comprised of 5 main sections; administration, economic, social & environment, statistical leadership & coordination (Census and Survey unit) and data collection. Within each section there are a number of units. The Economic Statistics section comprises of Trade, Tourism, Prices, GFS, Production and National Accounts units. This position will be working within the Economic section.
The Statistics Department has usually had short term technical assistance from PFTAC which is maximum of 10 days within 12 months’ period. These missions address only the short term priority needs which includes reviewing the latest GDP figures and advise on source data as alternative to the missing components. Therefore, major undertaking like rebasing and incorporating new data source into the framework, updating new data sources from economic survey and reviewing the structure of the economy is unlikely to be solved within these short term missions.
In the early 80’s the Asian Development Bank (ADB) has provided advisory support to VNSO through technical assistance. VNSO has made good progress over those years prior to that program and progress further after additional technical support. It has been seen as a footprint in establishment of National Accounts framework where GDP Production series has been compiled from 1987 going forward and historical series to 1983.
Functions of VNSO
The major function of the Statistics Department include:
• Collect, compile and analyse socio-economic statistics,
• Advise on statistical undertakings including surveys and research
• Coordinate statistical activities and data collections
• Direct and advice on the release of statistics for other government department
• Assist in the collection and dissemination of statistics in Vanuatu including survey and census
• Provide leadership role in National Statistical System (NSS)
• Maintain confidentially at all times as provided under the secrecy clause
• Report to the Minister responsible for statistics