Role and Responsibilities
To provide quality support for the work involved in the management of the Country Programme. To support Medair Marketing at Headquarters by providing and facilitating relevant and timely information for Medair’s communication and fund raising activities. Ensure good Medair visibility in the field.
Emergency Relief and Rehabilitation projects in countries of high vulnerability.
This position is not currently open, but frequently required in the Field
Initial Contract Details
Open-ended contract, 100%, normally ranges from (a minimum of) 12 months to 2 years
Medair is currently working in Afghanistan, Haiti, Madagascar, D.R.Congo, Somaliland, South Sudan, and Zimbabwe. Field contracts given will be based in one of these countries.
Key Activity Areas
- Humanitarian, security, international development
- Encourage, train and provide guidance to the field staff willing to contribute to the communication activities of Medair
- Provide news and content to HQ for editing and publication, including updating the Country Programme’s website section regularly.
- Regularly pitch articles, reports, or news stories to Marketing at Headquarters.
- Coordinate regular update of photo database in Marketing at Headquarters from the field programme activities.
- Assist the Marketing department in preparing the “bird’s eye view” programme content for Medair Annual Report.
- Distribute Medair Annual Report, Newsletter and other communication material as appropriate.
- Build up comprehensive local media database (testimonies, facts, stories, quotes, etc.)
Brand Management (messaging, look (graphics), photography, visibility)
- Plan and initiate the design of field visibility items under the guidance of the Brand Manager.
- Liaise directly with the Logistics Officer to organise the production and distribution of field visibility items.
- Promote, review, and ensure the correct use of Medair and donor logos and identities in the field.
- Manage donor visibility budgets and conditions according to Medair and donor guidelines.
- Actively monitor all communication/pictures made on the initiative of field staff and propose corrective actions if those are not appropriate, including personal websites, blogs, newsletters, etc.
- Liaise with local and international media in the field and beneficiaries.
- Act as media/PR spokesperson for Medair’s interests in the field.
- Prepare, facilitate and accompany field visits of photographers and journalists or video accredited by Medair Marketing at Headquarters.
- Research, draft media statements in consultation with Marketing at Headquarters.
- Qualifications in communications, public relations, media, fundraising, brand management, or marketing
Experience / Competencies
- Minimum 2 years professional experience in a similar position
- Experience in communications, public relations, media, fundraising, brand management, or marketing
- Keen to share information internally and provide training, capable of communicating clearly.
- Representing and connecting abilities within the media-network
- Passion and understanding of humanitarian issues desirable
- French, German or Dutch an asset
About the Organization
Medair brings life-saving relief and rehabilitation in disasters, conflict areas, and other crises by working alongside the most vulnerable. Its mission is to seek out and serve the forgotten women, children, and men in crisis who live in difficult-to-access regions in Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. Its internationally recruited staff (IRS) are motivated by their Christian faith to care for people in need, providing practical and compassionate support, regardless of race, religion, or politics. Medair has achieved the ISO 9001:2008 certification, worldwide. This certification signifies that Medair effectively delivers goods and services with a focus on beneficiary needs. Since 1989, Medair’s work has made a profound difference for millions of people, enabling lives to be saved and sustained for a better future. Together with its donors and partners, Medair is unwavering in its commitment to bring hope to the world’s most vulnerable. Our ability to provide life-saving care is enhanced by flexible multi-sectoral expertise including health & nutrition services, water, sanitation & hygiene, and shelter, (re-)construction and infrastructure.
Medair standard working requirements for the field
- Experienced professionals in a relevant field
- Committed Christians
- Commitment to the Medair values (faith, hope, accountability, integrity, dignity, compassion)
- Overseas intercultural experience
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Strong working knowledge of French (spoken and written) to work in our French-speaking programmes
- Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
- Competent with Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Successful completion of Medair’s Relief and Rehabilitation Course (ROC)
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair when interacting with team members, local staff, beneficiaries and external contacts
- Able to live and work with a multicultural team under difficult conditions
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit
- A salary based upon the grade of the position and the experience of the position-holder
- Full briefing at our Swiss headquarters, as well as an in-country briefing
- Security training for those going to insecure environments
- Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country
- Return flights to and from the country programme (one return flight for every year of service)
- Annual leave, plus rest and recuperation (R&R) leave (including travel, accommodation, and food)
- Additional benefits for those who commit to longer contracts: up to four weeks additional paid leave every 12 months, and re-entry allowance
- Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with up to 60 days post- assignment coverage, including debriefing
- The following are standard working conditions in our field programmes:
- Based in the capital or main base, or in field project locations.
- Some of the projects may be implemented in more remote and potentially insecure locations.
- Living standards are reasonably good and often the security situation is stable but this can change rapidly. International staff are sometimes quite limited in their movements and the options for social activities can also be limited.
- Field visits will involve more basic living conditions, sometimes arduous travel and potentially high levels of insecurity.
For more information on this and other positions, please follow this web link: www.medair.org/work-with-us and check the Field Vacancies.
We request that you complete all applications on-line at www.medair.org. Only English-language applications and CV’s will be reviewed. We will not review email applications. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is ongoing until the position is filled. We review every online application. Applicants will be contacted only if they are selected as a potential candidate.