The USAID-funded Health Financing Improvement Program seeks to strengthen the health financing functions and systems to support universal health coverage of quality primary health care (PHC) services for Ethiopian citizens. Project objectives include increasing domestic resource mobilization for enhanced provision of quality PHC services, streamlining pooling of risk-sharing/insurance mechanisms for wider access to PHC services with reduced financial barriers, facilitating strategic purchasing of health services from public and private health providers, and improving governance, management and evidence-generation for health financing reforms and health facilities.
Under the supervision of the Finance and Operations Director, the Finance and Administration Manager is responsible for finance and administration management which including budget development, financial reporting and analysis, accounting, and payroll, and supporting procurement and human resources management, for the project at its headquarters location in Addis Ababa. This is a supervisory position and includes direct reports.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Finance and Accounting
- Develop, manage, and monitor project budgets.
- Prepare accurate financial reports and periodic projections of funding needs.
- Maintain financial reporting and tracking systems that provide basic data measurements on financial performance of project activities.
- Maintain accurate and reconciled bank and petty cash accounts at all times.
- Record expenditures, income, and any other related transactions, in the books of accounts. Assist in ensuring that the books of accounts are accurate, current, and audit-ready at all times.
- Prepare and monitor payment vouchers and invoices, and corresponding checks/payments.
- Prepare monthly cash requests, and promptly advise the Finance and Operations Director of any action required to cover estimated costs.
- Prepare and manage timely submission of monthly field expenses (ROVs) to the Abt Associates Rockville home office, including the review and quality assurance of five field offices.
- Prepare payroll and other regular payments.
- Provide guidance to project personnel on financial procedures.
- Help maintain personnel files, including time sheets, vacation/leave monitoring, sick leave monitoring and ensuring adherence to the local labor laws.
- Coordinate the recruitment of new staff and maintenance of complete employment file.
- Provide guidance to Abt Associates on update of rules and regulations of Ethiopian Labor Law.
- Maintain an up to date expatriate and local roster with home addresses, telephone numbers and emails.
- Orient new employees on corporate policies and benefits.
- Support the development execution, and management of local consultant agreements. Assist with processing, maintaining files, and monitoring consultant level of effort and invoices.
- Assist in the management of subcontracts/sub-grants. Includes assisting in the preparation of scopes of work, contract administration, invoice tracking and processing, ensuring proof of receipt of deliverables, timely payment and other administrative functions.
- Adhere to USAID regulations, Abt Associates policies and procedures, and Ethiopian laws for all of the above.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business Administration, or other relevant field.
- Six years of relevant professional experience in managing finance aspects of large international development projects or other relevant experience, preferably USAID-funded projects.
- Experience and skills in developing and managing large budgets, preferably for the implementation of public health programs in Ethiopia.
- Strong analytical and computer skills, with an emphasis on budget and financial analysis.
- USAID experience and knowledge of FARs and AIDARs is highly desirable.
- Fluency in Amharic and English language proficiency.
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, QuickBooks or similar accounting software, and other relevant computer applications and databases)
- Master’s degree and 6-8 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.