Cardno is recruiting a qualified Financial Management Specialist to join an existing Fiscal Agent team working on donor-funded grants in Sierra Leone. The position is based in Freetown.
The Financial Management Specialist will be part of a larger team that provides professional services for fiscal management, including internal controls, procurement, accounting, cash disbursements, financial reporting, and account reconciliation to ensure the proper, efficient, effective and transparent use of funds under donor-funded grant programs. The position may also support Grant Recipients to comply with their budgeting and financial reporting requirements, work to strengthen Grant Recipients’ capacities, and provide advice and support to implement more effective and efficient operating processes.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Work alongside Grant Recipients to ensure that all requests to commit funds and/or to make payments as part of grant implementation: (i) are complete and accurate in terms of supporting documentation; (ii) are justified based on the approved budget and work-plans; (iii) have been appropriately authorized; and (iv) are eligible expenses.
- Carry out necessary due diligence checks in order to ensure that documentation in relation to all sub-recipients costs is authentic and that the activity is in accordance with the approved budget and work-plan.
- Review procurement documents and ensure that the method of identifying suppliers includes selection criteria and methods for inviting quotations in accordance with applicable procurement procedures and local laws.
- Support Grant Recipients in preparation of financial reports and disbursement requests.
- Update internal transaction logs and budget trackers and reconcile these with the Grant Recipients’ records
- Provide technical assistance and support to the Grant Recipients to build their capacity and ensure that they have appropriate systems and procedures in place.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in financial management and/or audit functions.
- Previous experience working with NGOs and/or on donor-funded programs.
- Strong skills in internal controls and accounting standards.
- Previous experience working on an automated accounting system, and budget and commitment management.
- Understanding of local tax laws and compliance requirements.
- Previous experience with grants funded by the Global Fund, Gavi, or other health donors is desired.
- Strong Excel skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent accounting certification is required. Completion of ACCA Applied Knowledge and Skills levels (exams 1-9) and above is an added advantage.
Interested and qualified applicants should send their CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for applications is 31 December 2019.
Please include the name of the position you are applying for (Financial Management Specialist - Sierra Leone) in the email subject line.
Equal Opportunity statement: Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status. At any time, if you require special accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Cardno is a professional infrastructure and environmental services company, with specialist expertise in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world. Cardno’s team includes leading professionals who plan, design, manage, and deliver sustainable projects and community programs. Cardno is an international company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange [ASX:CDD]. For more information, please visit our website at www.cardno.com/internationaldevelopment.
About the OrganizationCardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd., is part of Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division with international development assistance companies in Brisbane, Brussels, Jakarta, Melbourne, Nairobi, Oxford, Port Moresby, and Washington, DC. Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. was formerly Emerging Markets Group, Ltd. and brings nearly a 30-year history serving the objectives of bilateral and multilateral donors and private clients. The Emerging Markets Division brings together a broad range of experience and talent; a rich history of innovation, passion and commitment to international development and an established reputation for high quality demand and client driven services.
Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division manages more than $750 million in current contracts and grants, brings together over 90 years of collective experience, and engages over 3,700 professionals in more than 100 countries. Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division currently implements over 130 projects globally.