SUMMARY OF POSITION
CowaterSogema is excited to announce the opening of three “National/Regional Short-Term Expert” positions for the upcoming Decentralisation for Development (D4D) in Zambia III module of the Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GiZ) Decentralisation and Local Governance programme in Zambia. The objective of the project is to improve service delivery and political participation at the local level. The objective of module III is to support national and local authorities as they implement the decentralisation process, especially fiscal decentralisation, in a more efficient, transparent, coordinated, citizen-oriented and pro-poor manner.
The Fiscal Decentralisation and Intergovernmental Fiscal Architecture (IFA) Expert will be based in Lusaka, Zambia, providing specific technical advice on demand on issues related to the Intergovernmental fiscal architecture.
The Fiscal Decentralisation and Intergovernmental Fiscal Architecture (IFA) Expert will be responsible for the following tasks:
Provide technical advice to relevant staff from Decentralisation Secretariat and Ministry of Local Governance as well as to the Technical Working Group Planning and Budget chaired by the Permanent Secretary Budget from Ministry of Finance and Permanent Secretary Planning from Ministry of National Development Planning;
Support the set-up of an implementation plan for the Intergovernmental fiscal architecture as well as its implementation;
Support constructive dialogue between all relevant stakeholders on the implementation of the Intergovernmental fiscal architecture as well as its implementation;
and the design of key measures such as the grant transfer system and the assignment of potential;
Provide technical advice on the funding of devolved functions as well as specific questions such as the allocation criteria for earmarked sectoral grants, the introduction of performance-based allocation criteria, the accounting procedures for the grant systems, etc;
Support evidence-based decision making at national level through advising on data collection tools and procedures as well as the treatment of financial and other data;
Design and implement relevant training measures and contribute to the implementation of the capacity development strategy; and
Provide specific technical advice on demand on issues related to the Intergovernmental fiscal architecture
- Master’s Degree in Local Government Finance, Public Administration, Political Sciences, Planning or any other relevant field.
- Minimum of 5-years experience provide specific technical advice on demand on issues related to the Intergovernmental fiscal architecture, preferably also in local governments in Zambia.
- Minimum of 3-years experience in a management role in the area of fiscal decentralisation or intergovernmental fiscal architecture; and
- Regional experience working with local governments in Southern Africa, preferably in Zambia.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills (speaking, writing and oral) in English;
- Strong interpersonal and sociocultural skills;
- Excellent stakeholder management and relationship building skills; and
- Prior training in GiZ’s Capacity WORKS management model or commitment to undergo training by a GIZ-accredited multiplier before the commencement of the project.
Project’s specific conditions:
- This position is based in Zambia (28 person-months).
- Must be a Zambian national.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with CowaterSogema.
About the Organization
With more than 30 years of experience, CowaterSogema is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development. We have managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe for clients such as DFID, DFAT Australia, the World Bank and Global Affairs Canada. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, economic and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018.