Global Communities is currently implementing the USAID-funded Commercially Viable Conflict Free Gold Project (CVCFG), an artisanal mining initiative funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The goal of the project is to establish a conflict-free artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM) gold supply chain originating from eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). The five-year, $11.9 million program builds on recent successes achieved by donor-funded initiatives to export responsibly produced gold to jewelry buyers in North America and Europe.
CVCFG aims to contribute to the broader US government goal of reducing instability in the DRC by providing commercial opportunities to artisanal miners by linking them to responsible buyers in international markets. The three primary objectives of the project are:
to increase co-investment in conflict-free, traceable ASM gold from Eastern DRC (Objective 1)
to increase the volume of exports of conflict-free, traceable ASM gold from Eastern DRC (Objective 2)
to improve the commercial viability of ASM gold Cooperatives (Objective 3)
The main objective of this consultancy is to provide simultaneous interpretation from English to French for a three-day Pause and Reflect/Workplan meeting.
* Simultaneous English to French translation during the course of a 3-day workshop.
* Platforms may include but not be limited to MS Teams and Zoom.
* The subject matter of the meetings will pertain to artisanal and small scale mining, particularly with respect to “pause and reflect” activities examining the implementation of the CVCFG in its second year and activities aimed at developing the Year 3 workplan for CVCFG (October 1, 2020-September 30, 2021).
English to French simultaneous interpretation for Pause and Reflect/Work planning workshop.
Period of Performance: This assignment will be for 3 days level of effort, starting on/about July 13, 2020 and ending on/about July 17, 2020.
Location: It is anticipate that this assignment will be conducted remotely. No travel is envisaged.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Ability to provide interpretation services through teleconferencing platforms.
* Fluency in oral French and English is required.
* Familiarity with specific terminology relating to gold and the artisanal mining sector.
* Previous experience interpreting for workshops and other events on teleconferencing platforms;
* Previous experience simultaneously interpreting from English to French;
* Previous experience interpreting for events and workshops relating to the artisanal mining sector (preferred).
All Applicants must submit a CV highlighting previous remote English to French interpretation experience.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About the Organization
Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.