Banyan Global is an international development consulting firm committed to improving livelihoods through market approaches for a broad and lasting impact. The firm operates seamlessly within six practice areas: health sector, finance and investment, enterprise development, gender, youth, and evaluation and learning.
Banyan Global is recruiting for a short-term GIS consultant to support work on a USAID-funded health sector project in Nigeria. The project supports the Government of Nigeria through its agencies at the federal, state, local government areas (LGAs) and community levels to reduce under-five and maternal mortality by delivering quality services for management of malaria and its complications, and prevention of malaria during pregnancy and in under-five children. Banyan Global is currently conducting a mapping study designed to identify the location and capabilities of private health providers. The GIS consultant will support this study by producing relevant, high-quality GIS maps to be included in the mapping report. This is a remote position available to applicants worldwide.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Analyze and integrate GPS spatial data collected by the program team, analyze, and determine how the information can best be displayed;
- Conduct research to locate and obtain the most reliable and up-to-date data available from existing databases to integrate into maps for the report;
- Compile program geographic data in addition to other existing database, including censuses, satellite imagery, aerial photographs, and existing maps;
- Analyze spatial data for geographic statistics;
- Design and create custom maps, graphs and exhibits utilizing GIS software and related equipment to be incorporated into the report.
Required Skills and Experience
Education, Skills, and Experience
- 5-10 years of experience with Remote Sensing Analysis, GIS, and GIS tools;
- Bachelor’s degree in GIS, engineering, or a related discipline;
- Substantive experience with database models, cartographic design, and geospatial analysis;
- Advanced skills in data cleansing, digitizing, GPS setup and retrieval of data;
- Strong communication skills, including spoken and written English;
- Experience with any or all of the following a plus: USAID, the health sector, Sub-Saharan Africa.
· Systems thinking – Ability to understand, affect, connect, and leverage various parts of a system while maintaining sight of the whole system;
· Listening – Ability to actively listen (i.e. seeks to understand, asks good questions, paraphrases, and is in tune with speaker’s emotional state);
· Flexibility – Ability to expect the unexpected and adjust to what the situation now requires, rather than what was planned.
How to Apply
Please apply to the position through our website, http://www.banyanglobal.com/careers.php and include a cover letter and resume in your submission. Please no phone calls.
Salary commensurate with background and experience. Banyan Global is an equal opportunity employer.